Certain Sony Truly Wireless earbuds, including WF-SP800N and WF-1000XM3, support the ‘Using only one unit of the headset’ feature. This means they can be configured to only output sound to one earbud, while the other earbud stays in the charging case. Thanks to this setting you can listen to audio while paying attention to your surroundings (e.g. when listening to announcements on public transport).
Google Assistant can be assigned to either the left (L) or right (R) unit of your Sony Truly Wireless earbuds, if your model supports using only one earbud. Visit this article if you can’t hear any sound when trying to use Google Assistant with only one unit of your earbuds.
Standard headphones as well as some True Wireless models, such as WF-XB700, are designed to be used with both earbud units inserted into both ears. Such models do not support the ‘Using only one unit of the headset’ feature as they always output sound to both left (L) and right (R) units.
To check if your Sony Truly Wireless earbuds support ‘Using only one unit of the headset’, you can use the online manual of your model. To access your online manual, go to:
- Sony’s support website
- Type your Model Name in the search bar (e.g. WF-1000XM3)
- Click on your Model Name listed under search results
- Scroll down to the section called ‘Manuals’ and choose your language from the drop-down menu.
- Click on ‘Help Guide (Web manual)’ under ‘Manuals’.
- Type: ‘Using only one unit of the headset’ in the search bar OR go to: Getting started → Wearing the headset → Using only one unit of the headset
- If your manual does not contain the section ‘Using only one unit of the headset’, then this feature is not supported by your model.