IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
If any of these issues occur, follow the instructions provided to continue with the software update.
- The update stops midway.
- The screen displays "Software transfer failed" message mid-update and the update stops.
- The update stops at the "Please wait...Downloading software..." or "Please wait...Updating..." screen.
Possible reasons why the update stops
- Other Bluetooth devices are connected to the smartphone (wearable device, etc.).
- The headset and mobile device have an unstable Bluetooth connection.
- The headset or mobile device has low battery.
- There is radio wave interference, such as when there is a wireless LAN nearby.
- The automatic power-off function is on and the headphones have not been worn for more than 5 minutes (WF-1000XM3 only).
Troubleshoot the issue
- Tap Cancel on the Sony | Headphones Connect app to cancel the update.
- Turn off power to all Bluetooth devices connected to the mobile device which is being used for the update.
- NOTE: If another Bluetooth device registered to the Sony | Headphones Connect app, or a device compatible with Bluetooth Low Energy (wearable device, smartwatch, etc.), is connected to your device, the update may not be possible.
- Turn off the mobile device. Then turn it back on.
- Close the Sony | Headphones Connect app.
- Charge your headphones and the mobile device.
- Launch the Sony | Headphones Connect app on the mobile device.
- Make a Bluetooth connection between your mobile device and the headphones through the Sony | Headphones Connect app.
- NOTE: Check the Bluetooth connection by playing music from your mobile device using your headphones' left and right units.
- Check if the auto power-off function is enabled. (WF-1000XM3).
- NOTE: By default, the auto power-off function is enabled. The headphones will turn off automatically if they haven't been worn for about 5 minutes. Use the Sony | Headphones Connect app to change the auto power-off settings. Then update the headphones again after disabling the auto power-off function.
- Perform the update again using the Headphones Connect app.
Perform the update again
Check the following conditions first and then perform the update using the Sony | Headphones Connect app.
- Turn off or close all other apps running on the mobile device.
- Keep the headphones as close to the mobile device as possible.
- Keep other devices that transmit radio waves, including Bluetooth and Wi-Fi devices, away from the headphones and the mobile device.
- When using an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, etc.), turn off Google Assistant.