About this download
We recommend you use the internet to update if you can. If not, you can use this method instead. You'll download the update to your computer, burn it to a blank disc, then transfer it to your Blu-ray player.
We recommend the following operating system: Mac OS X 10.10 / Mac OS X 10.9 / Mac OS X 10.8 / Mac OS X 10.7 / Mac OS X 10.6 / Mac OS X 10.5.
How to make sure the update goes smoothly
Updating is usually very simple. Here's how you can make sure it works first time:
- Read the instructions carefully or you could end up damaging your Blu-ray player
- Don't turn the Blu-ray player off - or disconnect it from the power - while it's updating
- Don't press any buttons, except the ones mentioned in the instructions
Download the update to your computer:
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions
- Download the file UPDATA_M12R0510M.ZIP to your computer - remembering which directory you download it to
- Go to the file and check the size is 98.7 MB (103,531,897 bytes)
- Extract the file - the extracted file will be called UPDATA_M12R0510.ISO
- Right-click the file UPDATA_M12R0510.ISO and select Get info
- Check the size of the file is 101.0 MB (106,659,840 bytes).
Create the disc:
- Open the Disk Utility programme by going to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility on your Mac
- Drag and drop the file UPDATA_M12R0510.ISO to the left pane of the Disk Utility window.
Disk Utility window
- Put a blank recordable CD-R into the computer
- Select UPDATA_M12R0510.ISO, click the Burn icon then click the option Burn.
If you want to verify what you are burning, click the small triangle icon and select Verify burned data..
Burn disc option
- The file writes to the disc
- When you see the message "burned successfully", click OK and the disc will be ejected
- If you're not sure whether it has worked properly, start again and make a new disc
Transfer the update to your player
First get the equipment ready, then transfer the update to your player.
Get the equipment ready:
- Turn on your TV and check it's tuned to the input your Blu-ray player is connected to. (So if the player is connected to the HDMI2 socket, choose HDMI2 as the input.)
- Turn on the Blu-ray player
- Put the disc in the player, and close the disc tray
Transfer the update:
- After the disc loads, you see the message Perform version update? on the TV
- Select OK using the remote control, and then press ENTER
- The update starts
- During the update, you see the message "*/9"on the TV and "UP*/9"on the player front panel display. The * changes to 0 and goes up to 9 during the update process
- The player will reboot itself and the update will continue. - Don't use or turn on yourself the player during this step.
- You will see again the message "*/9"on the TV and "UP*/9"on the player front panel display. The * changes to 0 and goes up to 9 during the update process
- When the disc tray opens and the player automatically turns off, the update is complete. Don't use or turn off the player until the update is complete.
- Take the update disc out of the player and turn on the player
- Check the firmware version. If the version number is M12.R.0510, the firmware update was successful
What to do if you have problems updating your Blu-ray player firmware using your PC and a disc.
- The update disc will not eject.Follow these steps:
- Turn off the player and disconnect the AC power cord
- Reconnect the AC power cord while pressing down Open/Close button on the player - not on the remote control
- Keep pressing down Open/Close button on the player until the tray opens
- Take the disc out
- "UP NG" is displayed on the player front panel display.
Please perform the following procedure:
- Ensure the update disc is correct and re-insert it
- Select “Retry”
- If the symptom does not improve after retry, remove the update disc from the Blu-ray Disc player and delete the update files from your computer
- Download the firmware update file again and create a new update disc
- Insert the disc at the “update failed” screen
- Still not working? Please contact Sony Customer Support
- The power went off while the update was in progress
Turn the player on keeping the update disc in the tray. The update will restart automatically.
- The UPDATA_M12R0510M.ZIP update file I downloaded from the update web site cannot be extracted.
Did you download the file successfully? Try deleting the file and downloading it again.
- The update has been going for over 30 minutes and hasn't finished
- Disconnect the AC power cord from the mains, then reconnect it after several minutes
- Turn on the Blu-ray Disc player
- Try the disc update procedure again.
Still not working? Please contact Sony Customer Support