This information is applicable for the following Blu-ray Disc player models:
- BDP-S185 / S186
About this download
Updating is simple and with the newest firmware version, you can get even more from your Blu-ray player.
- Name: Blu-ray player firmware to version M09.R.0070
- Date released: 26-12-2014
- Benefits and improvements:
- BD-ROM playability improvement.
- BRAVIA Internet Video connectivity improvement.
- This update includes Cinavia™ content protection technology. Information about Cinavia technology is provided at the Cinavia Online Consumer Information Center at http://www.cinavia.com.
- Restrictions: only for use with Blu-ray players sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.
Your firmware may already be up to date, especially if you have a new Blu-ray player model. If the version number is M09.R.0070 or higher, you do not need to update.
If you're not sure, it's easy to check which version of firmware you have:
- Turn on your TV and check it’s tuned to the input your Blu-ray player is connected to, so if the player is connected to the HDMI 2 socket, choose HDMI 2 as the input.
- Turn on the Blu-ray player. If it starts to play a disc, press STOP and wait until you see the blue Sony Blu-ray screen.
- At the XrossMediaBarTM, highlight Setup > System Settings then select ENTER using the arrow keys on the remote control.
- Highlight System Information and select ENTER.
- On the TV screen, the firmware version number looks like this:
"Software Version M09.R.0070 " - if the version number is M09.R.0070 or higher, you already have the most recent firmware version.
There are 2 easy ways to update the firmware on your Blu-ray player:
Updating over the internet
We recommend this method as it’s the simplest way to update. It usually takes about 15-30 minutes. First set up the equipment, then download the update over the internet to your Blu-ray player.
What you need:
- an Ethernet cable to connect your Blu-ray player to the internet
- an active internet connection
- a compatible TV
How to make sure the update goes smoothly
Updating is usually very simple. Here’s how you can make sure it goes right first time:
- Read the instructions carefully or you could end up damaging your Blu-ray player.
- Don’t turn the Blu-ray player off – or disconnect it from the power – while it’s updating.
- Don’t press any buttons, except the ones mentioned in the instructions.
Set up the equipment:
- Turn on your TV and check it’s tuned to the input your Blu-ray player is connected to. (So if the player is connected to the AV1 socket, choose AV1 as the input.)
- Connect the LAN terminal on the Blu-ray player to your internet source using an Ethernet cable.
- Turn on the Blu-ray player. (If there is a disc in the player, take it out.)
Get the update:
- At the XrossMediaBar TM, select Setup > Network Update using the arrow keys on the remote control and then select ENTER.
- The message Perform version update? is displayed on the TV.
- Select OK using the remote control, and then press ENTER.
- The download process starts and you see the download screen on the TV.
- During the download, you see the message */9"on the TV. The * changes to 0 and goes up to 9 during the download process.
- After the download is complete, the update starts.
- You will see again the message "*/9"on the TV. The * changes to 0 and goes up to 9 during the update process.
- When the player automatically turns off, the update is complete. Don't use or turn off the player until the update is complete.
- Turn the player back on.
- Check the firmware version. If the version number is M09.R.0070, the firmware update was successful.
What to do if you have problems updating your Blu-ray player firmware using the internet.
- The message "Connection status cannot be confirmed" shows on the TV.
The problem might be with the network connection.
- Check the LAN cable is connected.
- In the network settings, check you have confirmed whether or not your Blu-ray player has its own IP address. (If you use a proxy server, type the IP address of the proxy you use – instead of the proxy host name – into the Proxy Server field.)
- Try the update again.
- The power went off while the update was in progress.
Turn the player on and try the update again.
- The update has been going for over 30 minutes and hasn’t finished.
- Disconnect the AC power cord from the mains, then reconnect it after several minutes.
- Turn on the Blu-ray Disc player.
- Try the update procedure again.
Still not working? Please contact Sony Customer Support