This information is applicable for the following Blu-ray Disc player models:
About this download
Updating is simple and with the newest firmware version, you can get even more from your Blu-ray player.
- Name:Blu-ray player firmware to version M04.R.789
- Date released:24/12/2014
- Benefits and improvements:
- Restrictions:only for use with Blu-ray players sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.
Your firmware may already be up to date, especially if you have a new Blu-ray player model.If the version number is M04.R.789 or higher, you do not need to update.
If you're not sure, it's easy to check which version of firmware you have:
- Turn on your TV and check it's tuned to the input your Blu-ray player is connected to, so if the player is connected to the HDMI 2 socket, choose HDMI 2 as the input.
- Turn on the Blu-ray player. If it starts to play a disc, pressSTOPand wait until you see the XrossMediaBar (XMB™) menu.
- At the XrossMediaBarTM, highlightSetup>System Settingsthen selectENTERusing the arrow keys on the remote control.
- HighlightQuick Start Mode, and confirm that is set toOFF.The update might not succeed if "ON" is selected.
- HighlightSystem Informationand selectENTER.
- On the TV screen, the firmware version number looks like this:
"Software Version M04.R.789 " -if the version number is M04.R.789 or higher, you already have the most recent firmware version.
There are 2 easy ways to update the firmware on your Blu-ray player:
The Network Upgrade operation is straightforward, so it is highly recommended that you use this method to upgrade the Blu-ray player firmware upgrade.
- Please read all the information carefully and thoroughly before downloading and installing any file. Failure to follow the instructions may cause the player to be unresponsive or to require repair.
- This utility isonly for use with the Blu-ray players sold within Europe.Not all models are sold in all countries.
- In order to use this upgrade method it is necessary to have the player correctly connected to an active Internet connection.
- In order to perform the firmware upgrade, it is necessary to have the player correctly connected to a compatible television.
- The firmware upgrade process usually takes about 15 to 30 minutes, depending on system configuration and network connection.
- Before you start:
- Power on the television and make sure it is tuned to the inputs to which the Blu-ray Disc player is connected.
- Connect the LAN terminal on the Blu-ray Disc player to your Internet source using an Ethernet cable.
- Power on the Blu-ray Disc player.
- If there is a disc in the player, please remove the disc.
- Performing the upgrade:
- At the xross media bar™ menu, use the arrow keys on the remote control to select "Setup" - "Network Update" and then press the ENTER button.
- The message "Perform version update?" is displayed on the television.
- Select "OK" and then press the ENTER button.
- The download process starts and the download screen is displayed on the television.
- During the download the message "DL */9" is displayed on the television and on the player front panel display.Note:The "*" changes to "0" through "9," indicating the download progress.
- After the download is complete, the upgrade starts and "VUP" appears on the player front panel display.
- While the upgrade is installed the message "VUP */9" is displayed on the player front panel display.Note:The "*" changes to "0" through "9," indicating the upgrade progress.
- The firmware upgrade is complete when "FINISH" appears on the player front panel display.WARNING!! Do not operate or power off the player until this message is displayed. Doing so may cause the Blu-ray Disc player to be unresponsive or to require repair.
- The Blu-ray Disc player will automatically power off.
- Power on the Blu-ray Disc player.
- Check the current firmware version to confirm that the upgrade has successfully installed.Note:If the last three digits of the version number are789the firmware upgrade was successful.
Possible issues related to the Network Upgrade
"SYS ERR" or "VUP NG" is displayed on the player front panel display.
- Push and hold the "POWER" button for several seconds until the unit power is off.
- Turn on the power of the Blu-ray Disc player.
- Please execute network upgrade procedure again.
- If the symptom does not improve after re-upgrade, pleasecontact Sony.
When running network upgrade, the television shows "Connection status cannot be confirmed" and you cannot upgrade the firmware.
The problem might be at the network connection. Verify that network settings of Blu-ray Disc player are appropriate.
- Check whether LAN cable is inserted to connector.
- Check network setting and confirm whether Blu-ray Disc player has own IP address. If you use a proxy server, type IP address of the proxy you use instead of the proxy host name in the "Proxy Server" input field.
- Then please execute network upgrade procedure again.
Power was shut down while updating.
Power on the player again. And then please execute network upgrade procedure again.
When the player is powered on after performing the upgrade, "WELCOME" or "WAIT" message appears constantly on the front panel display.
The firmware upgrade (This is not download) does not finish, after running for more than 30 minutes.