When you connect headphones to a device, both the music playback (Media audio) and the phone call function (Call audio) are connected simultaneously. Most headphones allow multiple Bluetooth® connections to audio devices, however, to switch sources, you would need to go into the Bluetooth settings, disconnect the current source, and then connect the source you want to use with the headphones.
Unlike many other headphones, the WH-1000XM4 headphones support Multipoint connection. This means that the headphones can switch easily between two audio sources without needing to go through the normal Bluetooth reconnection process. The headphones can also automatically answer a call on your phone while you are listening to audio on another source (such as a computer or music player).
Before you start
- Download the Sony | Headphones Connect app from an app store (Android, iOS) on one of the devices and make sure it has the latest update.
- Both source devices must support Bluetooth capability
- When pairing the headphones it is very important that you select [WH-1000XM4], rather than [LE_WH-1000XM4].
- NOTE: It may take up to a minute before [WH-1000XM4] appears on the screen. [LE-WH-1000XM4] will no longer appear after upgrading to firmware version 2.0.7 released on 5th November 2020.
How to use the Multipoint connection
Multipoint connection works with only two devices at a time. For example, you can:
- Watch a video on your computer and answer a call from your smartphone.
- Listen to music on your Walkman® player (or other music player) and answer a call from your smartphone.
The steps may vary depending on the devices that you want to use. Follow the instructions according to the devices the headphones will be paired to.
- How to connect your Bluetooth headphones to a laptop/desktop computer
- How to pair Bluetooth headphones with a smartphone
- How to pair a Walkman player with a Bluetooth audio device
- What is Bluetooth pairing?
*iPhone, iPad, Mac, AirPlay, and HomeKit are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.