This document sets out the standard Sony Warranty policy for professional products (as defined by Sony from time to time) (the “Equipment”) sold to customers within the European Economic Area and the following countries: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Kosovo, Israel, North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Switzerland, Turkey, Vatican City.
Standard limited warranty
Sony warrants that the Equipment shall be free from defects in materials or workmanship during the Warranty Period (defined below).
Subject to the exclusions detailed below, if the Equipment fails to conform to this Warranty and the purchaser notifies Sony in writing within the Warranty Period, Sony shall, without charge for labour or parts, (in its sole discretion), repair or replace the Equipment on the terms and conditions set out below. Where Sony choose to replace the Equipment, and new Equipment of the relevant model is not available Sony may replace the Equipment with a refurbished version of that model. In the event that neither new nor a refurbished model is available, Sony will use its reasonable endeavours to supply a like for like replacement, at Sony’s discretion, and where such like for like replacement is not available Sony shall supply a suitable alternative replacement. Where Sony chooses to repair the Equipment Sony requires the purchaser to return the same to Sony at the purchaser’s expense.
The warranty period is two (2) years from the date of purchase by the original end-user customer, unless:
- An exceptional warranty period applying to the Equipment or a component part thereof is published on the Sony website
- The Equipment has been repaired or replaced under warranty, in which case the warranty applies until the end of the original warranty period, or six (6) months from the date of such repair or replacement, whichever is longer; or
- The equipment is software, in which case Sony will warrant the media on which any software is delivered for ninety (90) days from the date of original purchase by an end-user customer*
- The Equipment is B-Graded product in which case the warranty period is ninety (90) days from the date of original purchase by an end-user customer
*All software is provided ‘as is’ unless expressly stated in the accompanying documentation. Customers are advised to make back-up copies of all software and/or data sent to or accompanying products sent to Sony. Sony is not responsible for any damage to or loss of any programs, data or other information stored on any media or any part of the Equipment which may be returned for service under this warranty.
Warranty claims and validation
- The purchaser presenting to Sony (either via the properly authorised Sony dealer from whom the product was purchased or by contacting Sony directly at the address stated below) the original sales invoice (indicating the date of purchase by the original end-user customer, serial number and the original dealer’s name) together with the defective Equipment within the Warranty Period; and
- Inspection by Sony (or its authorised service agent) disclosing to the satisfaction of Sony that:
- The defect in the Equipment has arisen from defects in workmanship or materials during the Warranty Period
- None of the exclusions apply
The following are excluded from warranty:
- Damage caused by:
- Acts of God or any reason beyond Sony’s reasonable control
- Misuse, including (but not limited to) failure to use the equipment for its normal purpose in accordance with Sony’s instructions on its proper use and maintenance
- Improper operation or maintenance of the equipment
- Connection to improper power supply
- Attempted repair by anyone other than a properly Sony authorised service agent
- Use of the equipment in conjunction with third party accessories, products or ancillary peripheral equipment
- Equipment where the manufacturer’s serial number has been altered, deleted, removed, or made illegible
- Equipment which has been adjusted or adapted without Sony’s prior written consent, including (but not limited to): upgrading the equipment beyond specifications or features described in the instruction manual, or modifications to the equipment to conform it to national or local technical or safety standards in countries other than those for which the equipment was specifically designed and manufactured
- Consumable parts
- Normal wear and tear of parts, as defined by Sony for example in service manuals, unless there is evidence of a manufacturing defect
- Damage or loss to any software programs, data, or removable storage media Costs associated with de-installation, re-installation or integration into a system
- Any additional exclusions which may apply to specific products or product types the details of which is published on the Sony website
Limitation of liability
The express warranty above shall be the full extent of Sony’s liability. Accordingly, Sony disclaims all other liability for loss or damage howsoever caused (except for death or personal injury resulting from proved negligence) arising out of the purchase, possession, sale or use of the equipment and all other terms, conditions, and warranties express or implied, arising out of trade usage or otherwise hereby excluded. In no event shall Sony be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damage including, but not limited to the infringement of any intellectual property rights, delays, or inaccurate information or advice. Notwithstanding the foregoing the customer’s statutory rights (if any) are not affected.
Customer data on media
Sony has no liability to the owner of the data or any third party for any loss, damage or corruption to any data, information or footage (together data) stored on any media passed to Sony. In the event that the media contains data, the destruction of which would lead to the owner suffering loss, Sony therefore recommends that the owner of such data, makes suitable copies of all such data before the media is supplied to Sony, and/or obtains adequate insurance to protect themselves from such loss.
No person, including any distributor, dealer, agent or representative of Sony is authorised to assume for Sony any liability on its behalf or in its name.
The purchaser is not entitled to rely on any representations made either orally or in writing by or on behalf of Sony save for those made fraudulently.
The purchaser relies entirely on its own skill and judgement in determining the fitness of any item of Equipment for any particular purpose.
For further information please contact Sony Europe B.V./Professional Solutions Europe, at the following address:
Sony Europe B.V.
Sony Imaging Products & Solutions
The Corporate Village
Da Vincilaan 7/D 1