Full Specifications & Features
- Sensor Type
- 1.0-type (13.2mm x 8.8mm) Exmor RS CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Effective)
- Approx. 20.1 Megapixels
- Lens type
- ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* Lens, 15 elements in 12 groups (8 aspheric elements including AA lens)
- F-number (Maximum Aperture)
- ND Filter
- Focal length (f=)
- ANGLE OF VIEW (35MM FORMAT EQUIVALENT)
- Focus Range (From the Front of the Lens)
- AF (W: Approx. 8cm (0.27 ft.) to Infinity, T: Approx. 100cm (3.29 ft.) to Infinity)
- Optical Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx. 16x / 10M Approx. 22x / 5.0M Approx. 32x / VGA Approx. 121x
- Clear Image Zoom (Movie)
- 4K: Approx. 12x / HD: Approx. 16x
- Digital Zoom (Still Image)
- 20M Approx. 32x / 10M Approx. 44x / 5.0M Approx. 64x / VGA Approx. 121x
- Digital Zoom (Movie)
- Approx. 32x
- Screen Type
- 7.5cm(3.0type)(4:3) / 921,600 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Adjustable Angle
- Up by approx. 180 degrees, down by approx. 90 degrees
- Display Selector (Finder/Lcd)
- MF Assist Magnification
- 5.3x, 10.7x
- Touch Panel
- Screen Type/Number of Dots
- 0.39-type electronic viewfinder(OLED), 2,359,296 dots
- Field Coverage
- Approx. 0.59x with 50mm lens at infinity, -1m-1(diopter) (35mm equiv.)
- Eye Point
- Approx. 20mm from the eyepiece, 19.8mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1(diopter) (CIPA standard)
- Dioptre Adjustment
- -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Brightness Control
- Auto, Manual(5steps)
- Image Processing Engine
- Yes (BIONZ X)
- STEADYSHOT (STILL IMAGE)
- STEADYSHOT (MOVIE)
- Yes (Intelligent Active Mode, Optical type with electronic compensation, Anti Rolling type)
- Focus Type
- Fast Hybrid AF(phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Mode
- Single-shot AF, Automatic AF, Continuous AF, DMF, Manual Focus
- Focus Area
- Wide (357 points (phase-detection AF), 425 points(contrast-detection AF)), Zone, Center, Flexible Spot (S/M/L), Expanded Flexible Spot, Tracking (Wide/Zone/Center/Flexible Spot(S/M/L)/Expanded Flexible Spot)
- OBJECT TRACKING
- Yes (Tracking)
- EYE AF
- [Still images] Human (Right/Left Eye Select) / Animal; [Movie] Human (Right/Left Eye Select)
- Light Metering Mode
- Multi Pattern, Center Weighted, Spot, Entire Screen Avg, Highlight
- Exposure Compensation
- +/- 3.0EV, 1/3EV step
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image)(Recommended Exposure Index)
- Auto(ISO100-12800, selectable with upper / lower limit), 100/125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800 (Extendable to ISO64/80), Multi-Frame NR:Auto(ISO100-12800), 100/200/400/800/1600/3200/6400/12800/25600
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie)
- Auto:(ISO100Level-ISO12800Level, selectable with upper / lower limit), 100/125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800
- White Balance Modes
- Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluor.: Warm White, Fluor.: Cool White, Fluor.: Day White, Fluor.: Daylight, Flash, Underwater Auto, C.Temp./Filter, Custom
- WB Micro Adjustment
- Yes(G7 to M7,57-step)(A7 to B7,29-step)
- Shutter Speed
- iAuto(4" - 1/2000) / Program Auto(30" - 1/2000) / Manual(Bulb, 30" - 1/2000) / Aperture Priority(30" - 1/2000) / Shutter Priority(30" - 1/2000)
- Electronic Shutter
- [Single Shooting] iAuto (4" - 1/32000) / Program Auto(30" - 1/32000) / Manual(30" - 1/32000) / Aperture Priority(30" - 1/32000) / Shutter Priority(30" - 1/32000);, [Continuous Shooting/Single Burst Shooting] 1/8 - 1/32000
- iAuto(F2.8/F11(W)) / Program Auto(F2.8/F11(W)) / Manual(F2.8/F11(W)) / Shutter Priority(F2.8/F11(W)) / Aperture Priority(F2.8/F11(W))
- Image Control
- Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, Creative Style, Color Space(sRGB / Adobe RGB), Quality(RAW / RAW&JPEG (Extra fine, Fine, Standard) / JPEG (Extra fine, Fine, Standard)
- Noise Reduction
- Long exposure NR:On/Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1/3 sec., high ISO NR:Normal/Low/Off, Multi Frame NR: Auto, ISO100-25600
- Dynamic Range Functions
- Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level 1-5), Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1.0-6.0EV, 1.0EV step)
- Shooting Mode
- AUTO(Intelligent Auto/Superior Auto), Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure, MR(Memory Recall) [body 3 sets / memory card 4 sets], Movie Mode(Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure), HFR Mode(Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure), Panorama, Scene Selection
- Scene Selection
- Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Handheld Twilight, Night Portrait, Anti Motion Blur, Pet Mode, Gourmet, Fireworks, High Sensitivity
- Continuous Shooting Speed (maximum) (with max. recording pixels)
- [AUTO/Electronic Shutter] Continuous Shooting Hi: approx. 20 fps, Continuous Shooting Mid: approx. 10 fps, Continuous Shooting Low: approx. 5.0 fps, Single Burst Shooting Hi: approx. 90fps, Single Burst Shooting Mid: approx. 60fps, Single Burst Shooting Low: approx. 30fps [Mechanical Shutter] Continuous Shooting Hi: -, Continuous Shooting Mid: approx. 10 fps, Continuous Shooting Low: approx. 3.0 fps
- 10sec. / 5sec. / 2sec. / 3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10sec. 5sec. or 2sec. delay selectable / Bracketing shots with 10sec. 5sec. or 2sec. delay selectable / Single Burst shots with 10sec. 5sec. or 2sec. delay selectable
- Drive Modes
- Single, Continuous shooting, Single Burst Shooting, Self-timer, Self-timer(cont.), Cont.-bracketing, Single-bracketing, White balance bracketing, DRO bracketing
- INTERVAL REC
- Yes (1-60 sec. interval, 1-9999 shots, AE lock/AE tracking(High/Mid/Low))
- Panorama (Shooting)
- Sweep Panorama
- Picture Effect
- [Still Image]:Toy camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono., Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Richtone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, Illustration, [Movie]:Toy camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono.
- Creative Style
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Picture Profile
- off/PP1-PP10(Black Level, Gamma(Movie, Still, Cine1-2, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-log3, HLG, HLG1, HLG2, HLG3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset)
- Number of Recognised Scenes
- [Still Image]:Superior Auto: 44 / iAuto: 33, [Movie]:44
- Flash Mode
- Auto / Flash On / Slow Synchro / Rear Sync / Flash Off
- Flash Type
- Built-in, manual pop-up
- AF Illuminator
- Auto / Off
- Flash Range
- ISO Auto: Approx.0.4m to 5.9m (1.31 ft. to 19.35 ft.) (W) / Approx. 1.0m to 3.1m (3.28 ft. to 10.17 ft.) (T), ISO12800: up to Approx. 12.4m (40.68 ft.) (W) / Approx. 7.0m (22.96 ft.) (T)
- Compatible Recording Media
- [XAVC S(100Mbps)] SDXC/SDHC Memory Card (UHS-I U3 or higher); [XAVC S(60Mbps/50Mbps)] SDXC/SDHC Memory Card (Class 10 or higher); [AVCHD/Still image] Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro, Memory Stick Micro(Mark2), SDXC/SDHC/SD Memory Card (Class 4 or higher), micro SDXC/SDHC/SD Memory Card (Class 4 or higher)
- Recording Format
- [Still Image]:JPEG(DCF Ver.2.0,Exif Ver.2.31,MPF Baseline compliant), RAW(Sony ARW 2.3 format), [Movie]:XAVC S, AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible
- Recording Format (Movie Audio)
- XAVC S:LPCM 2ch, AVCHD:Dolby Digital(AC-3) 2ch(Dolby Digital Stereo Creator)
- Colour Space (Still)
- sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size)
- 3:2mode:20M(5,472×3,648) / 10M(3,888×2,592) / 5M(2,736×1,824), 4:3mode:18M(4,864×3,648) / 10M(3,648×2,736) / 5M(2,592×1,944) / VGA, 16:9mode:17M(5,472×3,080) / 7.5M(3,648×2,056) / 4.2M(2,720×1,528), 1:1mode:13M(3,648×3,648) / 6.5M(2,544×2,544) / 3.7M(1,920×1,920) , Sweep Panorama:Wide(12,416×1,856/5,536×2,160), Standard(8,192×1,856/3,872×2,160)
- Movie Recording Mode (NTSC)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] AVCHD: 24M FX(1,920x1,080/60i) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/60i), XAVC S 4K: 30p 100M(3,840x2,160/30p) / 30p 60M(3,840x2,160/30p) / 24p 100M(3,840x2,160/24p) / 24p 60M(3,840x2,160/24p), XAVC S HD:60p 50M(1,920x1,080/60p) / 60p 25M(1,920x1,080/60p) / 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/30p) / 30p 16M(1,920x1,080/30p) / 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/24p) / 120p 100M(1,920x1,080/120p) / 120p 60M(1,920x1,080/120p)
- Movie Recording Mode (PAL)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] mode AVCHD: 24M FX(1,920x1,080/50i) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/50i), XAVC S 4K: 25p 100M(3,840x2,160/25p) / 25p 60M(3,840x2,160/25p), XAVC S HD:50p 50M(1,920x1,080/50p) / 50p 25M(1,920x1,080/50p) / 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/25p) / 25p 16M(1,920x1,080/25p) / 100p 100M(1,920x1,080/100p) / 100p 60M(1,920x1,080/100p)
- Recording: NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] mode XAVC S HD:50p 50M(1,920x1,080/250fps), 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/500fps), 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/1000fps) / 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/250fps), 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/500fps), 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/1000fps), NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] mode XAVC S HD:60p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) Sensor Readout Number of effective pixels: Quality Priority:240fps/250fps(1,824x1,026),480fps/500fps(1,824x616),960fps/1000fps(1,244x420)/Shoot Time Priority:240fps/250fps(1,824x616),480fps/500fps(1,292x436),960fps/1000fps(912x308)
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size) during Movie
- 16:9mode:17M(5,472×3,080) / 7.5M(3,648×2,056) / 4.2M(2,720×1,528)
- Proxy Recording
- Yes(1280 x 720(Approx.9Mbps))
- Input and Output Terminals
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal, Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0), Micro HDMI, Microphone jack (3.5mm Stereo mini jack)
- NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Yes(IEEE802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band))
- Yes (Bluetooth Standard Ver. 4.1 (2.4GHz band))
- Power Source
- DC3.6V(supplied battery) / DC5.0V(supplied AC Adaptor)
- Battery System
- Rechargeable battery pack (NP-BX1)
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode)
- Approx. 2.1W with LCD monitor and approx. 2.3W with viewfinder(CIPA standard)
- USB Charge/USB Power Supply
- Yes (Shooting, Playback)
- BATTERY LIFE(STILL IMAGES)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 260 / Approx. 130min., Monitor (When Auto Monitor off is set to 2sec):Approx. 310 / Approx. 155min., ViewFinder:Approx. 240 / Approx. 120min.
- BATTERY LIFE(MOVIES ACTUAL SHOOTING)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 40min., ViewFinder:Approx. 40min.
- BATTERY LIFE(MOVIES CONTINUOUS SHOOTING)(CIPA)
- Monitor:Approx. 70min., ViewFinder:Approx. 70min.
- Playmemories Camera Apps
- Shooting Functions
- Face Detection, Face Registration, Still Image Recording (during movie recording), Smile shutter, Grid Line, Quick Navi, Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll), WB Bracket, DRO Bracketing, MF Assist, Peaking (Display: Off/On) (Level: High/Mid/Low) (Color: Red/Yellow/Blue/White), Zebra, Marker Display, Audio Rec Level, Audio Level Display, Step Zoom / Quick Zoom, Self-portrait timer, TC/UB, Copyright Info, ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed, PC Remote Controll, Gamma Disp. Assist, [Mov]AF Tracking Sensitivity, [Mov]AF Drive Speed, Set File Name, Touch Shutter/Touch Focus/Touch Tracking, Touch Pad, My Menu, My Dial
- Playback Functions
- BRAVIA Sync(Control for HDMI), 9/25-frame index view, Auto Orientation, Slide Show, Forward/Rewind (Movie), Delete, Protect, Motion Shot Video, Beatuty Effect, Photo Capture, Rating, Automatic Image Rotation
- TRILUMINOS Color
- 4K image output
- Operating Temperature
- 0 degrees C. - +40 degrees C. / 32 degrees F. - 104 degrees F.
- Exif Print, PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
Size & Weight
- DIMENSIONS (W X H X D) (APPROX.)
- 101.6 x 58.1 x 42.8 mm(4 in. x 2 3/8 in. x 1 11/16 in.)
- WEIGHT (CIPA COMPLIANT)
- Approx. 302g (10.7oz.)(Battery and Memory Card are included) / Approx. 275g (9.8oz.)(Body Only)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack (NP-BX1), AC Adaptor, Micro USB cable, Wrist Strap, Strap Adapter, Instruction Manual
Broad zoom range from a pocket-size camera
The built-in ZEISS® Vario-Sonnar T* 24-200mm F2.8-4.5 zoom lens covers a broad zoom range equivalent to two standard zoom lenses (24-70mm and 70-200mm), all in a very compact size. It's configured with eight aspherical lens elements with 13 aspherical faces to achieve maximum resolution, clarity and contrast across the entire zoom range, and all the way out to the edge of the image. Four of Sony's original AA (advanced aspherical) elements help minimise spherical, coma and chromatic aberrations.
A new image sensor that delivers new levels of performance
The newly developed Exmor RS™ 1.0-type stacked CMOS image sensor works in tandem with the latest BIONZ X™ image-processing engine to deliver powerful levels of performance. The result is fast, Blackout-free Shooting at up to 20fps and Single Burst Shooting at up to 90fps. Reliable AF/AE tracking is possible thanks to rapid arithmetic processing at 60 times/sec. to predictively track subject motion, and the electronic viewfinder and LCD monitor also benefit, with improved image quality and smooth 60fps display during shooting.
Up to 20fps fast, Blackout-free Shooting with AF/AE tracking
Now you can rely on Blackout-free Shooting at up to 20fps, complete with AF/AE tracking, so you won't lose track of a moving subject even at telephoto range. Precise, reliable AF/AE tracking is based on high-speed arithmetic processing at up to 60 times per second during continuous shooting. (A) Blackout-free Shooting (B) Shooting with blackouts
Up to 90fps speed Single Burst Shooting to capture decisive moments
A new high-density Single Burst Shooting mode is available to capture true split-second action. You can take seven still shots in rapid succession at shooting speeds equivalent to 90fps, 60fps or 30fps by pressing the shutter button. Both JPEG and RAW formats are supported, and the self-timer can be used.  90fps ( 0.011 sec. )  7photos
Ultra-fast 0.02-sec. AF with 357 phase-detection points
The fast, highly accurate autofocus can achieve a remarkable 0.02-sec. acquisition speed, the world's fastest, to capture fleeting moments with precision. A total of 357 focal-plane phase-detection AF points covering approx. 68% of the image area – the most in the world – work in conjunction with 425 contrast-detection AF points and High-density AF Tracking Technology to follow even erratically moving subjects reliably.
Real-time Tracking to maintain steady focus on your subject
For the first time in the RX series, Real-time Tracking is supported. When you're tracking a fast-moving subject, the camera's motion tracker uses a sophisticated subject recognition algorithm (AI) that draws on colour, pattern (brightness), distance (depth) and face/eye information to automatically recognise and maintain focus on your subject. During continuous shooting, the camera relies on AF calculations at up to 60 times/sec. to maintain high-accuracy tracking even as the subject's position changes moment by moment. Tracking can also be initiated through touch operation, for both stills and movies.
Enhanced Real-time Eye AF for better portraits and pet photos
Real-time Eye AF detects and focuses on the eyes of your subjects, even when part of the face is hidden, the face is backlit or the subject is facing downwards.With up to 60 AF calculations per second, the RX100 VII's AF enables powerful continuous shooting, and stunning portrait shots through precise focusing on your subject's eyes – person or animal. For human subjects, activating Real-time Eye AF simply requires a half-press of the shutter button.
Extraordinary image quality and low noise
The 20.1MP, 1.0-type stacked CMOS image sensor uses back-illumination technology for increased light-collection efficiency. The standard ISO range is 100-12800, expanded to ISO64 and ISO80 for stills. In conjunction with the processor, it delivers high perceived resolution, low noise, highly accurate colour reproduction and natural skin tones.
Soft Skin and other effects to widen your creative options
The camera offers a range of special effects for your photos. Soft Skin mode reduces small facial wrinkles and skin dullness while preserving the clarity of the subject's eyes and mouth, and Beauty Effect can be used on images that are already shot. Auto HDR results in a higher dynamic range, reproducing gradations in brightness and contrast that are close to what the human eye perceives. A range of Creative Style and Picture Effect options helps you create unique images.
Optical SteadyShot™ equivalent to 4.0 stops
The camera's built-in image stabilisation delivers the equivalent of a 4.0-stop shutter speed increase at 200mm, to compensate for camera shake during hand-held shooting, even in telephoto or low-light conditions. Combined with the camera's sophisticated optics design and advanced image-processing engine, this helps to achieve remarkable image quality.  Without Optical SteadyShot™ ( Simulated )  With Optical SteadyShot
Anti-distortion shutter with silent shooting option
The Anti-distortion electronic shutter achieves speeds as fast as 1/32000 sec., while fast data readout from the image sensor reduces distortion for fast-moving subjects. You can also mute the camera's shutter in noise-sensitive scenes, such as candid portraits and animal photos, to avoid distracting shutter clicks and capture subjects in a natural state.
4K HDR (HLG) video recording
When shooting 4K (QFHD resolution: 3840 x 2160) movies the RX100 VII uses full pixel readout, without pixel binning, and 1.7x oversampling to provide outstanding resolution with reduced moiré and jaggies. The XAVC S video format supports high-bitrate recording (max. 100Mbps) and, with HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) capability, you can enjoy HDR images simply by connecting the camera to an HDR (HLG) compatible Sony TV via a USB cable.
Enhanced Fast Hybrid AF and Real-time Tracking for movies
Thanks to the evolution of Auto-Focus (AF) algorithms, AF capability for movie shooting has been improved in speed, accuracy, and tracking performance, including better results in dimly lit settings. Autofocus optimises the camera's focus according to the subject, and when Real-time Tracking is activated you can start tracking simply by selecting the subject on the touchscreen, even for movies. AF drive speed and AF tracking sensitivity are adjustable, so you can fine-tune the focus transitions to match the scene.
Real-time Eye AF for people during movie recording
For the first time in RX series cameras, the RX100 VII can detect and track people's eyes during movie recording, maintaining sharp and steady focus as the subject moves. Focus is set and maintained automatically, so you can concentrate on framing your shots. The feature can be used in conjunction with Touch Tracking – simply touch the corresponding point on the touchscreen to focus on either the subject's left eye or right eye, or switch between eyes.
Enhanced image stabilisation for movies
The camera's image-stabilisation system has evolved to use "Active" mode during 4K movie recording, and thanks to advancements in the camera's algorithms the image stabilisation effect in HD movie shooting is also enhanced in every shooting mode, with more effective results than were previously available. You can additionally use the Imaging Edge™ Movie Edit add-on mobile app to achieve ultra-smooth images similar to what you would see when using a gimbal.
External microphone jack
Even though the camera is compact, it includes a newly added jack that can be used to attach external microphones. The standard 3.5mm input enables the use of high-end microphones for professional audio capture for movies and vlogs.
Vertical-format movie recording
The camera supports movie recording in vertical format with embedded metadata indicating the camera's orientation. This means that movie clips in this format that are transferred to smartphones can be played back and used as is, without needing to rotate them from horizontal format.
Interval Shooting for time-lapse movies
Interval Shooting with a set interval of 1 to 60 seconds is now available within the camera. The resulting still images can be edited into a time-lapse movie on a PC in post production. A simple variable-speed preview function allows a draft of the time-lapse movie to be viewed on the camera.
Super slow motion at up to 40x slower speed
The stacked CMOS sensor enables an extra-high frame rate of up to 960fps/1000fps, so even when shooting at 200mm telephoto it's possible to record impressive close-up super slow-motion footage. The frame rate and recording setting can be set independently for slow-motion playback speeds from 1/4 to 1/40th of real-time speed, and can be captured using either start or end triggers to record even the most fleeting of moments.
Support for professional movie-recording workflows
For more demanding productions, the camera supports a range of movie functions more typically found in professional equipment, including S-Log3 and S-Log2 gamma curves. The wide dynamic range and colour space available using these S-Log profiles is perfect for camera matching and minimising blown-out highlights or lost shadow detail. Additional options for Picture Profile and Creative Style are also available, along with advanced features like Gamma Display Assist, Zebra metering, a Clean HDMI output with Rec Control, timecode, and Proxy recording. There's everything a video professional could need in day-to-day work situations.
One-push Access viewfinder
The XGA OLED Tru-Finder™ offers sharp resolution (2.35-milliion-dot equivalent), bright self-illumination and high contrast, making it excellent for previewing shots and adjusting settings. Electronic viewfinder eyepiece optics reduce unwanted reflections and ensure corner-to-corner visibility. Depressing the pop-up switch on the side of the body makes the viewfinder instantly available, and it can be retracted just as quickly when not in use.
180°-tiltable LCD screen with versatile touch operation
The high-resolution 921k-dot LCD has a 3.0-type screen which tilts upwards 180° and downwards around 90°, for easy framing of self portraits and high- and low-angle shooting. Touch operations include Touch Shutter (to release the shutter), Touch Focus (to set the focus point), Touch Tracking (to activate focus tracking for the selected subject), and Touch Pad (to smoothly move the focus point).
Custom functions for improved operability
Function Menu items can be set independently for still and movie shooting, and help displays are available on the menu screen. The My Menu feature allows for the flexible assignment of 30 menu items, and frequently used functions can also be assigned to the control dial and control wheel with My Dial.
Ratings, protection, and continuous shooting groups
In playback mode, still images can be given a rating or protected from deletion, and these functions can conveniently be assigned to custom keys. Continuously shot images can be displayed in the groups in which they were shot, and groups of shots can be deleted or protected with one operation. You can now also select from four different continuous shooting display styles, for the viewfinder or LCD monitor, according to your preference.
More efficient control of settings with an improved user interface
To make your shooting even more fluid and efficient, frequently used ISO ranges and focus-area types are given prominence in their settings screens. The Flexible Spot focusing mode has been simplified to shift through the frame faster – ideal for sporting scenes where the subject often shifts position. In addition, the focus frame can now be switched between red and white to enhance its visibility in diverse shooting environments, and a blue indicator has been added for focus peaking – ideal for warm-coloured subjects.
Expanded possibilities with Imaging Edge Mobile
Use the free Imaging Edge Mobile app to start and stop movie recording and capture stills remotely from your smartphone or tablet using built-in Wi-Fi®. Captured images and 4K movies can also be wirelessly transferred to your device for easy sharing, and the camera can even use your smartphone’s location data to tag your images via a Bluetooth® connection. And thanks to the auto background transfer function, remotely shot still images can be transferred automatically from the camera to a smartphone while shooting.
Imaging Edge Remote, Viewer, and Edit
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use "Remote" to control and monitor shooting live on your PC screen; "Viewer" to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.