Full Specifications & Features
- Sensor Type
- 1.0-type (13.2mm x 8.8mm) Exmor RS CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Effective)
- Approx. 15.3 Megapixels
- Lens type
- ZEISS Tessar T* Lens, 6 elements in 6 groups (6 aspheric elements)
- F-number (Maximum Aperture)
- Focal length (f=)
- ANGLE OF VIEW (35MM FORMAT EQUIVALENT) (STILL IMAGE)
- 84deg. (24mm)
- Focus Range (From the Front of the Lens)
- Approx. 20cm (0.66 ft.) to Infinity
- Optical Zoom
- Clear Image Zoom (Still Image)
- 15M Approx. 2x / 7.7M Approx. 2.8x / 3.8M Approx. 4x / VGA Approx. 13x
- Clear Image Zoom (Movie)
- 4K: Approx. 1.5x / HD: Approx. 2x
- Digital Zoom (Still Image)
- 15M Approx. 4x / 7.7M Approx. 5.6x / 3.8M Approx. 8x / VGA Approx. 13x
- Digital Zoom (Movie)
- Approx. 4x
- Screen Type
- 3.8cm(1.5type)(4:3) / 230,400 dots / Clear Photo / TFT LCD
- MF Assist Magnification
- Screen Type/Number of Dots
- Image Processing Engine
- Yes (BIONZ X)
- Electronical (for movie)
- MOVIE EDIT ADD-ON COMPATIBILITY
- Focus Type
- Contrast-detection AF
- Focus Mode
- Single-shot AF,Preset Focus,Manual Focus
- Focus Area
- Wide (25 points(contrast-detection AF)),Center,Flexible Spot (S/M/L),Expanded Flexible Spot
- LOCK ON AF
- EYE AF
- Light Metering Mode
- Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot (Standard/ Large), Entire Screen Avg., Highlight
- Exposure Compensation
- +/- 3.0EV, 1/3EV step
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image)(Recommended Exposure Index)
- Auto(ISO125-12800, selectable with upper / lower limit),125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800 (Extendable to ISO80/100),Multi-Frame NR:Auto(ISO200-25600), 200/400/800/1600/3200/6400/12800/25600
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie)
- Auto:(ISO125Level-ISO12800Level, selectable with upper / lower limit), 125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/2500/3200/4000/5000/6400/8000/10000/12800
- White Balance Modes
- Auto,Daylight,Shade,Cloudy,Incandescent,Fluor.: Warm White,Fluor.: Cool White,Fluor.: Day White,Fluor.: Daylight,Underwater Auto,C.Temp./Filter,Custom
- WB Micro Adjustment
- Yes (G7 to M7,57-step)(A7 to B7,29-step)
- Electronic Shutter
- 1/4" - 1/32000
- Image Control
- Contrast,Saturation,Sharpness,Creative Style,Color Space(sRGB / Adobe RGB),Quality(RAW / RAW&JPEG / Extra fine / Fine / Standard)
- Noise Reduction
- High ISO NR:Normal/Low/Off,Multi Frame NR: Auto, ISO200-25600
- Dynamic Range Functions
- Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level 1-5), Auto High Dynamic Range (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1.0-6.0EV, 1.0EV step))
- Shooting Mode
- Program Auto,Manual Exposure,MR(Memory Recall) [body 3 sets / memory card 4 sets],Movie Mode(Inteligent Auto),Movie Mode(Program Auto),Movie Mode(Manual Exposure),HFR Mode(Program Auto, Manual Exposure),Intelligent Auto,Superior Auto
- Continuous Shooting Speed (maximum) (with max. recording pixels)
- Speed Priority Continuous Shooting: approx. 16 fps, Continuous Shooting: approx. 3.5 fps
- 10sec. / 5sec. / 2sec. / 3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10sec. 5sec. or 2sec. delay selectable / Bracketing shots with 10sec. 5sec. or 2sec. delay selectable
- Drive Modes
- Single,Continuous shooting,Speed priority continuous shooting,Self-timer,Self-timer(cont.),Cont.-bracketing,Single-bracketing,White balance bracketing,DRO bracketing
- INTERVAL REC
- Yes (1-60 sec. interval, 1-9999 shots, AE lock/AE tracking(High/Mid/Low))
- Picture Effect
- [Still Image]:Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono., Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Richtone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, Illustration; [Movie]:Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono.
- Creative Style
- Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Picture Profile
- Off/PP1-PP7(Black Level, Gamma(Movie, Still, Cine1-2, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode, Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, Reset)
- Number of Recognised Scenes
- Still Image:Superior Auto: 10 / iAuto: 10,Movie:10
- Compatible Recording Media
- XAVC S(100Mbps): micro SDXC/SDHC Memory Card (UHS-I U3 or higher); XAVC S(60Mbps/50Mbps): micro SDXC/SDHC Memory Card (Class 10 or higher); AVCHD/Still image: Memory Stick Micro, Memory Stick Micro (Mark2), Micro SDXC/SDHC/SD Memory Card (Class 4 or higher)
- Recording Format
- Still Image:JPEG(DCF Ver.2.0,Exif Ver.2.31,MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format),Movie:XAVC S, AVCHD format Ver.2.0 compatible
- Recording Format (Movie Audio)
- XAVC S:LPCM 2ch,AVCHD:Dolby Digital(AC-3) 2ch(Dolby Digital Stereo Creator)
- Colour Space (Still)
- sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Still Image Number of recorded pixels (Image Size)
- 3:2mode:15M(4,800x3,200) / 7.7M(3,408x2,272) / 3.8M(2,400x1,600), 4:3mode:14M(4,272x3,200) / 6.9M(3,024x2,272) / 3.4M(2,128x1,600) / VGA,16:9mode:13M(4,800x2,704) / 6.5M(3,408x1,920) / 3.2M(2,400x1,352),1:1mode:10M(3,200x3,200) / 5.2M(2,272x2,272) / 2.6M(1,600x1,600)
- Movie Recording Mode (NTSC)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] AVCHD: 24M FX(1,920x1,080/60i) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/60i), XAVC S 4K: 30p 100M(3,840x2,160/30p) / 30p 60M(3,840x2,160/30p) / 24p 100M(3,840x2,160/24p) / 24p 60M(3,840x2,160/24p), XAVC S HD: 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/60p) / 60p 25M(1,920x1,080/60p) /30p 50M(1,920x1,080/30p) / 30p 16M(1,920x1,080/30p) /24p 50M(1,920x1,080/24p) / 120p 60M(1,920x1,080/120p) / 120p 100M(1,920x1,080/120p)
- Movie Recording Mode (PAL)
- NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] mode AVCHD: 24M FX(1,920x1,080/50i) / 17M FH(1,920x1,080/50i), XAVC S 4K: 25p 100M(3,840x2,160/25p) / 25p 60M(3,840x2,160/25p), XAVC S HD: 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/50p) / 50p 25M(1,920x1,080/50p) /25p 50M(1,920x1,080/25p) /25p 25M(1,920x1,080/25p)/ 100p 60M(1,920x1,080/100p) / 100p 100M(1,920x1,080/100p)
Recording NTSC/PAL Selector: [PAL] mode XAVC S HD:50p 50M(1,920x1,080/250fps), 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/500fps), 50p 50M(1,920x1,080/1000fps) / 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/250fps), 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/500fps), 25p 50M(1,920x1,080/1000fps), NTSC/PAL Selector: [NTSC] mode XAVC S HD:60p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 60p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 30p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) / 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/240fps), 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/480fps), 24p 50M(1,920x1,080/960fps) Sensor Readout Number of effective pixels Quality Priority:240fps/250fps(1,676x942),480fps/500fps(1,676x566),960fps/1000fps(1,136x384)/Shoot Time Priority:240fps/250fps(1,676x566),480fps/500fps(1,136x384),960fps/1000fps(800x270)
- Proxy Recording
- Yes(1280 x 720 (Approx.9Mbps))
- Input and Output Terminals
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal, Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0), Micro HDMI, Microphone jack(3.5mm Stereo mini jack)
- Yes(IEEE802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band))
- Yes (Bluetooth Standard Ver. 4.1 (2.4GHz band))
- Power Source
- DC3.7V(supplied battery) / DC5.0V(supplied AC Adaptor)
- Battery System
- Rechargeable battery pack NP-BJ1
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode)
- Approx. 1.3W
- USB Charge/USB Power Supply
- Yes (Shooting, Playback)
- BATTERY LIFE(STILL IMAGES)(CIPA)
- Approx. 240shots / Approx. 120min
- BATTERY LIFE(MOVIES ACTUAL SHOOTING)(CIPA)
- Approx. 35min.
- BATTERY LIFE(MOVIES CONTINUOUS SHOOTING)(CIPA)
- Approx. 60min.
- Playmemories Camera Apps
- Shooting Functions
- Eye AF,Face Detection,Face Registration,Grid Line,WB Bracket,DRO Bracketing,MF Assist,Peaking,Zebra,Marker Display,Audio Level Display,TC/UB,Photographer Name & Copyright,ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed,PC Remote Control,Gamma Disp. Assist,Flip,One Push AF
- Playback Functions
- BRAVIA Sync(Control for HDMI),9/25-frame index view,Slide Show,Forward/Rewind (Movie),Delete,Protect,Cont Shoot Grouping
- TRILUMINOS Color
- 4K image output
- Operating Temperature
- 0 degrees C. - +40 degrees C. / 32 degrees F. - 104 degrees F.
- Yes (IPX8 equivalent)
- Yes (IP6X equivalent)
- Yes (2.0m/6.5ft MIL-STD810G C1 Method516.7-Shock)
- Exif Print,PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
Size & Weight
- DIMENSIONS (W X H X D) (APPROX.)
- 59.0x40.5x35.0 mm(2 3/8 in. × 1 5/8 in. 1 7/16 in.)
- WEIGHT (CIPA COMPLIANT)
- Approx. 132g (4.7 oz.)(Battery and microSD Memory Card are included) / Approx. 117g (4.1 oz.)(Body Only)
What's In The Box
- Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BJ1,AC Adaptor,Micro USB cable,Wrist Strap,Memory card protector,Instruction Manual,Shooting Grip,VCT-SGR1,Hand Strap,Cable Clamper,Pouch,Set of printed documentation,Bracket
ZEISS® Tessar T* lens
The ZEISS® Tessar T* 24mm F4 lens delivers high-resolution images with reduced peripheral distortion despite its wide-angle design. The improved 20cm minimum focusing distance is perfect for selfies and shots of tabletop objects, while Clear Image Zoom enables up to 2x zoom with minimal quality loss. Ghosting and flare can be further suppressed with the use of an optional hood, and the surface coating on the front body makes it easier to wipe off water drops and dust.
15.3MP (effective) stacked CMOS sensor
The 1.0-type Exmor RSTM CMOS image sensor is stacked with a dedicated DRAM chip, allowing incredible 1/32,000 sec. shutter speeds that capture movement imperceptible to the human eye. The sensor also enables the camera's impressively wide dynamic range, from ISO 80 to ISO 12800.
Advanced BIONZ X™ for low noise and stunning detail
The latest version of the BIONZ X image-processing engine provides high-resolution images with a wide dynamic range and reduced noise in low-light settings. Images are characterised by more natural details and richer tonal gradations. This improved BIONZ X now also enables internal recording of 4K movies.
Handy features in a robust, ultra-compact body
The rugged, extra-super-duralumin body is smooth and sleek in design, without protruding parts. Despite being barely larger than a matchbox, it includes a convenient 180°-tiltable LCD monitor and other handy features designed to make shooting stills and movies easier.
Reliable performance in challenging shooting environments
The camera's tough construction makes it dependable for use in a variety of difficult environments. It is waterproof down to 10m/33ft, shock resistant for drops from heights up to 2.0m/6.5ft and crushproof under weights of up to 200kgf/440lbf/2000N.
4K movies recorded with full pixel readout
The RX0 II supports internal movie recording at up to 4K 30p resolution (QFHD: 3840 x 2160) for when you're travelling or recording vlogs. When shooting 4K movies with full pixel readout and no pixel binning, the camera oversamples around 1.7 times as much information as is required for basic 4K output, delivering outstanding resolution.
Image stabilisation for movie shooting
The newly added electronic image stabilisation feature enables stable, steady hand-held shooting of movies.
Movie Edit add-on, for easy social media uploads
Designed for quick, high-quality social media sharing, the Movie Edit add-on provides automatic image stabilisation, producing smoother images similar to what you'd achieve using a gimbal. It also lets you reframe your video to suit various smartphone-friendly aspect ratios while intelligently keeping your main subject in the frame.
Eye AF feature for perfect portrait and selfie shots
The camera's sophisticated Eye AF feature is designed to automatically detect and focus on the eyes of the main subjects in your shots. It rapidly and accurately detects eyes even under difficult conditions, such as when the subject is looking downward or when faces are dimly lit or backlit.
Interval recording for the creation of time-lapse movies
Continuous shooting with a set interval between 1 and 60 seconds is now available within the camera. The resulting still images can be edited into a time-lapse movie on a PC using the Viewer in the free Sony Imaging Edge™ desktop applications. A simple variable-speed preview function allows a draft of the time-lapse movie to be checked on the camera immediately after shooting.
180° tiltable LCD monitor
Now tilting a full 180° (180° up and 90° down), the LCD monitor is very useful when you're framing selfies and vlog recordings, and it's also handy when you're shooting from a low or a high angle.
Incredible flexibility with the optional shooting grip
The VCT-SGR1 Shooting Grip attaches easily to the RX0 II and expands your creative potential. With integrated controls, it lets you trip the shutter release and operate the record button and the zoom from the grip itself, and it also transforms into a tabletop mini-tripod.
Expanded possibilities with Imaging Edge Mobile
Using built-in Wi-Fi®, RX0 II cameras can be controlled remotely via your smartphone or tablet. Simply download the free Imaging Edge Mobile app to your device to enable remote control of the camera's shutter release and movie recording start and stop. Captured images and 4K movies can also be wirelessly transferred to your device for easy sharing. Bluetooth® is available for remote power on/off and for acquisition of location data.
Wired multi-camera control with optional Camera Control Box
The optional Camera Control Box (CCB-WD1) uses wired LAN connections for synchronised multi-cam shooting, such as when you want to shoot a movie scene from multiple angles. You can combine Box units to control up to 100 RX0 II cameras, turn power on and off, adjust settings, and capture photos or videos, all from a web browser on your PC.
Dual-camera shooting – simultaneous still or movie capture from your RX0 II and another camera – is now possible with the use of the optional VMC-MM2 Release Cable. With this feature you can capture decisive moments and one-time events from two different angles, or shoot a scene with an alternate frame rate or picture profile, with a single press of the shutter release.
Flexible, precise image adjustment for movie shooting
With S-Log2 recording, the RX0 II offers professionals vastly more post-production flexibility through extended dynamic range capture. Included along with other customisable Picture Profiles, this proprietary gamma setting offers a wide colour gamut and reduced risk of blown-out highlights, for easy camera matching and professional results.
Super slow motion shooting at up to 960fps/1000fps
Shooting in super slow motion at frame rates of up to 960/1000fps captures split-second action in movies. Quality Priority mode can even capture up to HD resolution when shooting at 240/250fps. The end trigger mode lets you capture a decisive moment in super slow motion starting from two or four seconds before the REC button is pressed.
Clean HDMI output for 4K movies
For added flexibility in your production workflow, you can use the Clean HDMI output to monitor and record uncompressed video to an external recorder in your choice of formats and bitrates.
Continuous shooting at up to 16fps with reduced blackout
Despite its large 15.3MP pixel count, the super-high-speed image sensor achieves readout speeds high enough to enable continuous shooting at up to 16fps, capturing fleeting moments as they happen.
Anti-distortion Shutter with speeds of up to 1/32,000 sec.
Taking full advantage of the Exmor RS sensor's extremely fast readout, the Anti-distortion Shutter is capable of shutter speeds up to 1/32,000 sec. This minimises any image distortion caused by the rolling shutter phenomenon, which can otherwise distort images of rapidly moving objects.
Pro-quality XAVC S and AVCHD options for movie recording
The low-compression XAVC S format is excellent for the production of high-quality movie images with minimal noise, even in very active scenes. The camera also supports the AVCHD format for easy editing and sharing.
Custom keys for intuitive operation
You can program frequently used functions to any of several customisable buttons in order to tailor the camera to your shooting style. This provides faster access and more intuitive camera operation when you're in the middle of a shoot.
MF Assist and Peaking functions to fine-tune your focus
When you're shooting close-ups or other situations where very precise focus is called for, you can use MF (manual focus) Assist to magnify the area of focus for more exact adjustments. Additionally, the Peaking function highlights the sharpest, most in-focus areas in your choice of colours, to make manual focusing fast and accurate.
Wide ISO sensitivity for greater flexibility in shooting
The camera's sensitivity range extends from ISO 80 to ISO 12800, giving you the freedom to shoot even in very dimly lit settings. You can use Auto ISO to determine the sensitivity automatically, and set a lower limit to maintain your shutter speed/angle for accurate motion capture.
Extended movie shooting with adjustable Auto Power OFF Temperature
You can choose the internal temperature level at which the camera automatically shuts off power to adapt to your shooting environment. For example, if you're shooting movies with a tripod, shots tend to run longer, so you can set the Auto Power OFF Temperature to “High” to shoot for a longer duration.
Compatibility with iMovie and Final Cut Pro X
This product is compatible with Final Cut Pro X and iMovie.
Imaging Edge Remote, Viewer, and Edit
Elevate your photography with Imaging Edge desktop applications. Use "Remote" to control and monitor shooting live on your PC screen; "Viewer" to quickly preview, rate, and select photos from large image libraries; and "Edit" to develop RAW data into high-quality photos for delivery. Get the best from Sony RAW files, and manage your productions more efficiently.
Capture One (for Sony)
Capture One Express (for Sony) is free award-winning image editing software that provides high-end image quality RAW development, easy management of your image files, and powerful editing tools. Capture One Pro (for Sony) is an optional purchase, for even more editing tools and tethered shooting capability.