DVD/Hard Drive Recorders stuck in update or missing digital channels
Over the weekend, 20/21 July 2013, Sony was made aware of an issue affecting certain models of DVD/HDD recorders produced within 2007/2008 and being used in the UK (other countries are unaffected).
Potentially affected models
- RDR-HXD770 / 790 / 870 / 890 / 970 / 995 / 1070 / 1095
- The following error messages may appear on screen: "Stuck in update" or "No digital channels".
Current situation and recommendations
Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. Sony has found that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy the issue.
Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps:
- Switch off the device
- Disconnect it from the mains
- Wait for 30 seconds
- Reconnect the device to the mains
- Switch on the device. - The unit should now work correctly.
Note: In certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new).
How to do a full factory reset:
- Make sure the recorder is turned on and remove any discs
- Press and hold the STOP button on the recorder (not on the remote).
- While holding the STOP button, press the on/standby button on the recorder then release the stop button
- All settings will be reset and the recorder will turn off
- Switch on the device
- Re-tune the TV channels and set any preferred settings again.
- Confirm the unit has returned to its expected working state.
Note: Since the digital switchover the information in the GuidePlus+ is no longer available and you should select Digital Guide during the initial set-up sequence.
In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555.