Important information before you start
- This article is for Android TV or Google TV models only. If you aren't sure of the type, check if your BRAVIA TV is a Google TV, an Android TV or other.
- If your TV isn't an Android TV or Google TV, refer to:
- Before you reset your TV, make sure the TV is on and remove any external USB devices from the TV.
- There are three different ways to reset your Android TV or Google TV depending on the issue you are experiencing:
- Option A (Restart/Power Reset) is a soft reset always recommended first, as it can resolve many issues and doesn't affect saved information.
- Option B (Factory Data Reset) is the next step if a restart or power reset fails. The Factory Data Reset erases all customised settings as it resets the TV to factory specifications.
- Option C (Forced Factory Reset) is the final option if the Factory Data Reset fails. The Forced Factory Reset also erases all customised settings as it resets the TV to factory specifications. Use this option when you can't access the TV through the menu.
NOTE: A Factory Data Reset and a Forced Factory Reset perform the same task - they reset the TV to factory settings. A Forced Factory Reset is performed manually using the TV buttons when you can’t access reset options in the TV menu (i.e. when a Factory Data Reset isn't possible).
You can view the following tutorial explaining how to restart or factory reset an Android TV or skip to the more detailed steps below.
Option A: Restart / Power Reset
This option doesn't affect the information saved on your TV (e.g. Google account settings, apps, channels).
Select the method depending on your TV.
- Restart the TV with the supplied remote control:
- Press and hold the POWER button until Power off appears on the screen
- Press and hold the POWER button until a menu appears → select Restart
- Restart the TV using the TV menu. On the remote control, follow the steps below:
- Press (Quick Settings) → Settings → System → Restart → Restart
- Press HOME → navigate to Settings → About → Restart → Restart
- Press HOME → navigate to Settings → Device Preferences → About → Restart → Restart
NOTE: When restarting with the remote or menu, the TV will automatically power off and back on after a short time.
Unplug the TV power cord from the wall outlet, wait for two minutes, then plug the power cord back in.
NOTE: Skip this step if your TV power cord is inaccessible.
Option B: Factory Data Reset (using the TV menu)
WARNING: Performing a factory data reset will remove all custom settings in the TV, including Google account settings, apps, channels, and wireless network settings.
How to sync apps with your Google account
- You can sync your apps with your Google account to recover some of the application's data after performing a factory reset. Follow the steps below depending on your TV menu.
- Press HOME → navigate to Settings → Device Preferences or Accounts and Sign-in → Google → Choose synced apps → select items to sync → Sync now
- Press HOME → navigate to Settings → Google → Choose synced apps in Sync → select items to sync → Sync now
- Press HOME → navigate to Settings → Personal → Google → Choose synced apps in Sync → select items to sync → Sync now
How to reset your TV to factory settings using the TV menu
- The factory reset may take a few minutes. Wait until the process completes.
- You may need to enter a PIN code (if one was set on your TV) when selecting the Erase everything option.
Option C: Forced Factory Reset (using the TV buttons)
WARNING: Performing this procedure will remove all custom settings in the TV, including Google account settings, apps, channels, and wireless network settings.
- This procedure is generally used to resolve issues where apps cause errors, the TV restarts by itself, or the TV doesn't respond to remote control commands.
- Your TV must have Android 6.0 Marshmallow or higher operating system installed to perform this procedure.
- This procedure may require two people.
- Depending on which TV model you have, the location and number of the buttons on the TV will vary.
- Perform a Forced Factory Reset using one or three buttons on the TV
- Perform the Factory Data Reset (Option B) again.