An issue described as a popping, chirping, screeching or other noise distortion has been identified when streaming a Netflix movie or TV show, where the audio content has been encoded using the Dolby Digital Plus format.
- This solution is designed to assist when using a Sony home audio receiver, sound bar or home theater system that is experiencing audio distortion when using the Netflix streaming service and Dolby Digital Plus (DD+).
- This solution is not related to streaming through a Sony Blu-ray Disc player. If you are using a Sony Blu-ray Disc player with another manufacturer's home audio product, contact the manufacturer of that product for further assistance.
The following models can be directly updated by firmware to address this issue directly:
- STR-DN840 - released August 18
- STR-DN1040 - released August 25
The following models will need to be Serviced to correct the Dolby Digital Plus Sound Distortion:
The STRDA1800ES receiver is currently undergoing testing and a solution will be available in the future. This article will be updated as more information becomes available.
Setting the digital audio output on the Netflix app to PCM or Stereo should temporarily alleviate the issue.
- Open the Netflix app.
- Select a movie or TV show.
- Select the Audio and subtitles option.
- Change the Audio from Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 to Stereo.