What do you need?
- A laptop with an HDMI port
- An HDMI cable
- A free HDMI slot on your TV
- Input/source button on your remote control. You can usually find the input/source button near the top left-hand side of your remote. It depicts an arrow going into a rectangle or square.
Why is the input/source button important?
The input/source button allows you to switch input channels. In other words, you can choose the source (device) that your TV will display at a given moment:
- If you connect a PlayStation 5 to the HDMI 1 port, you need to set the input to HDMI 1 to see the PlayStation screen.
- If you connect your set-top box to the HDMI 2 port, you need to set the input to HDMI 2 to view the TV channels of your set-top box.
In short, each HDMI port allows you to connect one audio/video device to your TV with an HDMI cable. That device is called the source or input device because it's the source of what will be played (i.e. the input) on your TV.
Therefore, when you connect a laptop to your TV with an HDMI cable, make sure to switch to the correct input to view the laptop screen on the TV.
How to display your computer screen via HDMI
- Connect your laptop with an HDMI cable to a free HDMI slot on the TV. In this example, we will take the HDMI 1 slot.
- Find the input/source button on your remote control. You can find it on the top-left side of your remote control. Use this button to switch between "inputs". Each HDMI slot acts as a channel and displays audio and video of the connected device.
Most TV remotes have an input button that cycles from one input to another. Press the input button repeatedly until the correct HDMI input is displayed on the TV.
- Select the HDMI slot to which you connected your laptop. In this example, we use the input button to select HDMI1 because we connected the laptop to the HDMI1 port.
Adjusting the display setting on your laptop
If you're sure you've selected the correct input channel, and the image is not viewable or not ideal, check your laptop display settings. Some services might not play when you do not set the display settings on 'second screen only'
- Check the resolution of your laptop to ensure the best match with your TV screen
- How to use Google Cast on a computer using the Chrome Browser
- How do I use Google Cast on Sony's Android TV or Google TV