What is your TV cache?
Similar to a smartphone or web browser, the apps on your TV store temporary information. Saving this information reduces loading times and makes sure you experience a fast user experience because the app doesn't have to keep redownloading the same information.
The cache is where this temporary information is stored.
What are the benefits of clearing cache?
If your cached data keeps on growing, it might have an adverse effect: when more storage is used, the app might slow down. That's why occasionally clearing the cache increases the performance and overall stability of the apps you're using.
Secondly, if you're experiencing issues with a particular app, clearing cache or clearing the app data is an excellent way to start troubleshooting.
While clearing your cache means deleting temporary data (e.g. thumbnails or your preferred YouTube videos), clearing the app data means removing all your settings and returning the app to its original installation state.
How to clear cache or clear data
- Press the HOME button on the remote control.
- Select Settings.
- The next steps will depend on your TV menu options:
- Select Apps — See all apps — Show system apps. (Android™ 9)
- Select Apps. (Android 8.0 or earlier)
- Select desired apps in the System app category.
- Select Clear cache then OK.
- Select Clear data then OK.
If the next option is displayed, select CLEAR ALL DATA then OK.