Follow these steps to set up a WLAN or Wi-Fi connection with a wireless router or access point.
IMPORTANT: This solution has been written to work with all VAIO computers that use the Windows 7 operating system. Because of this, some steps are only spelled out in general terms. The reason for this is that the process to perform that particular step is different depending on the model computer you have. For information specific to any particular model on how to complete any of the steps in this solution, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the computer.
NOTE: There is a wireless icon in the system tray that can be used to open the list of available networks. If possible, click this icon and skip to step 8.
- Turn on the physical wireless switch.
IMPORTANT: The VAIO computer models from Summer 2012 or later will not include a physical wireless switch.
- Click the Start button and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click Network and Internet.
- In the Network and Internet window, click Network and Sharing Centre.
- In the Network and Sharing Centre window, under Change your networking settings, click Set up a new connection or network.
- In the Set up a Connection or Network window, click to select Connect to the Internet and then click the Next button.
- In the Connect to the Internet window, click Wireless.
NOTE: A pop-up window is display from the system tray.
- In the pop-up window, under Wireless Network Connection, click the name of the wireless router or access point to which you would like to connect to expand the selection.
NOTE: If your wireless network is not displayed in the list, it may not be broadcasting the SSID. If this is the case, you will need to manually configure the wireless network .
- Under the wireless network name, click the Connect button.
NOTE: If the wireless network is not protected with a security key, the next step is not required.
- If a network key is required, a Type the network security key window is displayed. Enter the security key in the textbox and then click the OK button.
NOTE: Detailed information about network keys and wireless encryption is provided in the What is Wireless LAN Encryption knowledge base article.
- The wireless network is now displayed in the Network and Sharing Centre window.
If after following this procedure, you are unable to connect to the wireless network, general troubleshooting steps are available.