Follow the procedure below to manually set up a WLAN connection with a Wi-Fi router or access point.
- Click the Start button and then click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, click Network and Internet.
- In the Network and Internet window, click Network and Sharing Centre.
- In the Network and Sharing Centre window, under Change your networking settings, click Set up a new connection or network.
- In the Set up a Connection or Network window, click to select Manually connect to a wireless network and then click the Next button.
- In the Manually connect to a wireless network window, enter the appropriate Network name, Security type, Encryption type, and Security Key.
- The Network name or SSID, Security type, Encryption type, and Security key are configured on the wireless router or access point. If you are using the default configuration, this information may be on bottom of the router or in the manual. If you configured the router with custom settings, you may be able to locate it by logging into the router setup page. If you still are unable to find this information, contact your network administrator or the router manufacturer.
- The image below is an example of the information required. Your information will be different.
- Verify the box is checked next to Start this connection automatically.
IMPORTANT: If you are manually configuring your wireless network because the wireless router is not broadcasting the SSID, you must check the box next to Connect even if the network is not broadcasting.
- In the Successfully added window, click the Close button.
If you are unable to connect to the wireless network after completing this procedure, verify the Network name or SSID, Security type, Encryption type and Security key are correct and repeat the procedure.