IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
What is Imaging Edge Webcam Software?
The Imaging Edge Webcam software is an application that makes it possible to use a Sony camera as a high-quality webcam!
This way, you can use your camera as a high-definition webcam for live streaming while taking advantage of its unique and diverse features.
Imaging Edge Webcam does not handle audio, so use your personal computer’s built-in microphone or an external microphone.
- What cameras are supported?
- Supported operating systems:
- Windows 10 64-bit
- Apple® macOS® 10.13 - 10.15 and macOS 11.0 operating systems (excluding Macs with Apple silicon)
- For an OS other than Windows 10 64-bit or if you would like to improve the resolution/framerate
(explanatory article on how to live stream without using the Imaging Edge Webcam software)
How to install the Imaging Edge Webcam software?
Installation & Settings
- Download and install the Imaging Edge Webcam software on your computer.
- Restart the computer (for the first time only).
- Turn on your camera.
- On the camera, enable the following settings (menu paths may differ slightly depending on the camera)
How to set up your camera
- Connect the camera and computer using the supplied USB cable.
- It is not possible to connect to the camera when the Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote) software is active. Quit the Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote) software first and then connect to the camera.
When using the ILCE-7M2, ILCE-7S, ILCE-7SM2, ILCE-7RM2, ILCE-5100, ILCE-6300, ILCA-68, ILCA-77M2, DSC-RX1RM2, DSC-RX10M2, DSC-RX10M3, DSC-RX100M4, or DSC-RX100M5
Before proceeding to the next step, first set the camera to (Auto Mode). After launching the live streaming/web conferencing service and starting the video, change to movie mode.
When using a camera other than those listed above
Set the camera to movie mode.
- Launch your prefered video conference software on your personal computer.
- Change the appropriate setting in the video conference software to switch the camera to be used from the PC’s built-in camera to the Sony camera.
If you're uncertain about how to do this, check the support page of the video conferencing software you use.
Useful tips when using the Imaging Edge Webcam Software
- The aspect ratio is automatically set to 16:9. It will remain set to 16:9 after using the Imaging Edge Webcam software, so set it to the previous value if necessary.
- We recommend that you disable the sleep mode of your PC when using the Imaging Edge Webcam.
- When using the Imaging Edge Webcam, do not unplug the USB cable of any USB devices such as a camera or headset, and avoid releasing the shutter or changing camera settings such as drive mode.
- If your camera has USB Power Supply as an option, we recommend that you set it to On.
- The resolution is set to 1,024 × 576 pixels.
- To improve smooth movement, try (Auto Mode) instead of movie mode.
- The camera turns off automatically when the temperature of the camera body rises beyond a certain point. If you will be using the camera for an extended period of time, use (Auto Mode). On a camera with an Auto Power OFF Temp. setting, selecting the High setting will extend the length of time you can use the camera continuously.
- If you can't start the video of the web conference, the settings of different video conference software you are not currently using may be causing the problem. Make sure the camera setting of the other video software is set to something other than the Sony Camera (Imaging Edge).
If the Sony Camera (Imaging Edge) selection doesn't appear in the camera settings of the web conferencing system or the live view screen isn't displayed even after the camera setting is switched, the web conferencing system may not be compatible. If the web conferencing system is available in both an app version and a browser version, try both versions.
Other tips will vary depending on the operating system. Select your OS for more information.