About this download
Thank you for your continued interest in Sony products.
Sony is offering a firmware update for the Sony Reader PRS-650. This utility updates the firmware to version 1.0.00.14080.
Refer to the "Download and Installation procedure" section below for detailed information about the firmware update.
This firmware update resolves the following symptoms:
- Reader cannot open a purchased book and “Protected Page Error” is displayed.
- Annotations on a purchased book are lost.
Microsoft Windows 7 (32/64 bit)
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 Ultimate
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 Starter
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Basic
- Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional
Microsoft Windows Vista (32/64 bit)
- Windows Vista® Ultimate with Service Pack 2 or later
- Windows Vista® Business with Service Pack 2 or later
- Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 2 or later
- Windows Vista® Home Basic with Service Pack 2 or later
- The software update process takes about 1 to 2 minutes.
- To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
- Do not disconnect the USB cable from the PC until the update is completed.
- It is highly recommended to print out these instructions as a reference during the installation process.
WARNING!! The Sony Reader must be fully charged before installing this update. Failure to fully charge the Sony Reader before installing the firmware update may cause the Reader to be unresponsive or to require repair.
- Please confirm again that your model is PRS-650 before you start the download.
- Download the PRS-650 Updater 1.0.00.14080.exe file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
- Connect the Reader to the computer with the supplied USB cable.
- Reader Library starts up, so close Reader Library.
- Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click PRS-650 Updater 1.0.00.14080.exe file to begin the installation.
Warning: Do not disconnect the Reader during the update process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Note: The Reader will automatically restart during the update process.
- After the software update is complete, an "Update Completed" message is displayed.
- Click the "X" to close the update utility.
After the Reader restarts, and the Reader displays an update complete message, the installation of the Reader Update is complete.
Alternate Installation method instructions:
- Within the Reader Library software, click the "Help" menu command.
- At the "Help" menu, click "Check for Updates".
- Click OK to download the update.
Check if the firmware update completed successfully:
- On the Reader, press the "Home" button.
- At the "Home" menu, select "Settings".
- At the "Settings" menu, select "About".
- At the "About" screen, confirm that the firmware version is "1.0.00.14080".
Note: If the version is not 1.0.00.14080, please re-download the update, and then perform the firmware update again.
Possible Errors during update:
ERROR: "Please first quit Reader Library and try again." is displayed.
RESOLUTION: Close Reader Library, close PRS-650 Updater via the X button, and restart PRS-650 Updater 1.0.00.14080 .exe
ERROR: "Update isn't complete. Please try again" is displayed.
RESOLUTION: Close PRS-650 Updater by X button, and disconnect the USB cable from PRS-650, and do the Installation Instructions again.
ERROR: Update button of PRS-650 Updater is not enabled even if PRS-650 is connected to the computer.
RESOLUTION: Close PRS-650 Updater by X button, disconnect the USB cable from PRS-650 and press reset button of PRS-650. Restart PRS-650 by PowerKey and do the Installation Instructions again.
- 21.31 Mb