About this download
Updating is simple and with the newest firmware version, you can get even more from your Blu-ray player.
- Date released:23/12/2014
- Name:Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system firmware to version M12.R.0510
- Applicable models:BDV-E190, BDV-E290, BDV-E490, BDV-E690, BDV-EF220, BDV-EF420
- Benefits and improvements:
- Restrictions:only for use with Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.
Your firmware may already be up to date, especially if you have a new Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system model.If the version number is M12.R.0510 or higher, you do not need to update.
If you're not sure, it's easy to check which version of firmware you have:
- Turn on your TV and the Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home Theatre System. Check it's tuned to the input your Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system is connected to, so if the player is connected to the HDMI 2 socket, choose HDMI 2 as the input.
- Press the "FUNCTION" button repeatedly until "BD/DVD" function appears in the front panel display.
- If it starts to play a disc, pressSTOPand wait until you see the XrossMediaBar™ (XMB™) menu screen.
- At the XrossMediaBarTM, highlightSetup>System Settingsthen selectENTERusing the arrow keys on the remote control.
- HighlightSystem Informationand selectENTER.
- On the TV screen, the firmware version number looks like this: "Software Version M12.R.0510" -if the version number is M12.R.0510 or higher, you already have the most recent firmware version.
There are 2 easy ways to update the firmware on your Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system:
Updating over the internet
We recommend this method as it's the simplest way to update. It usually takes about15-30minutes. First set up the equipment, then download the update over the internet to your Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system.
What you need:
- an Ethernet cableto connect your Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system to the internet
- an active internet connection
- a compatible TV
How to make sure the update goes smoothly
Updating is usually very simple. Here's how you can make sure it goes right first time:
- Read the instructions carefullyor you could end up damaging your Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system.
- Don't turn the Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system off- or disconnect it from the power - while it's updating.
- Don't press any buttons,except the ones mentioned in the instructions.
Set up the equipment:
- Turn on your TV and check it's tuned to the input your Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system is connected to. (So if the Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System is connected to the HDMI 2 socket, choose HDMI 2 as the input.)
- Connect the LAN terminal on the Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system to your internet source using an Ethernet cable.
- Turn on the Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system- If there is a disc in the player, take it out.
- Press the"FUNCTION"button repeatedly until "BD/DVD" function appears in the front panel display.- You can only perform the upgrade when the "BD/DVD" function is selected
- At the XrossMediaBarTM, selectSetup>System Settingsusing the arrow keys on the remote control and then selectENTER.
- Select "Quick Start Mode" using the remote control- make sure that the "Quick Start Mode" is set to "Off",otherwise, the firmware upgrade may not succeed.
Get the update:
- At the XrossMediaBarTM, selectSetup>Network Updateusing the arrow keys on the remote control and then selectENTER.
- The messagePerform version update?is displayed on the TV.
- SelectOKusing the remote control, and then pressENTER.
- The update process starts.
- During the update, you see the messageUPDATINGon the front panel dsiplay.
- When the messageCOMPLETEappears on the front panel display the update is complete. The Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System automatically turns off.- Don't use or turn off the system until the update is complete.
- Turn the system back on.
- Check the firmware version. If the version number is M12.R.0510, the firmware update was successful.
What to do if you have problems updating your Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system firmware using the internet.
- "UPDATE" and "ERROR" are displayed alternately on the front panel display, and "Update failed" is displayed on the TV screen.
Please check the following:
- Check that the router and all devices connected between the TV and the router are switched on.
- Verify that you are using the correct type of cable (straight or crossover) between the TV and the router.
- Check that all the cables between the TV and the router are correctly connected.
- Try the update again.Still not working?Pleasecontact Sony Customer Support
If you cannot perform the network update, try the Disc Update procedure.
- After the network update process has started, "1/9" is displayed in the lower right but the progress bar on the display has not changed.
Depending on your network connection, the network upgrade process can take a long time ( up to 60 minutes). That is why "1/9" is displayed in the lower right and the progress bar on the display will not change for a long time.
- The message "Connection status cannot be confirmed" shows on the TV.
The problem might be with the network connection.
- Check the LAN cable is connected.
- In the network settings, check you have confirmed whether or not your Blu-ray Disc / DVD Home theatre system has its own IP address. (If you use a proxy server, type the IP address of the proxy you use - instead of the proxy host name - into the Proxy Server field.)
- Try the update again.
- The power went off while the update was in progress.
Turn the Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System on and try the update again.
- The update has been going for over 60 minutes and hasn't finished.
If your system is connected via wireless to the network, please try to connect with a cable to the network and an try the procedure again.
If the problem continues, the network transmission speed may be low. In that caseplease try to update your system following the disc procedure.