This information is applicable for the following TV models:
- KDL-32R420A / R421A / R423A / R424A
- KDL-40R470A / R471A / R473A / R474A
- KDL-46R470A / R473A
About this download
- Name: Firmware update to v4010 for TV
- Date released: 13/05/2014
- Do I need to update?: Your firmware may already be up to date, especially if you have a new Bravia TV model. If you're not sure, it' it's easy to check which version of firmware you have follow these instructions to check it.
- Benefits and improvements:
- Improves the TV performance when using the Electronic Program Guide
- Restrictions: only for use with TV sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.
What you need
- a computer with access to the internet
- a USB memory stick
- a compatible TV
Follow the simple steps below to update your TV firmware. Once you have updated, all your personal settings on the TV will remain the same.
How to make sure the update goes smoothly
Updating is usually very simple. Here's how you can make sure it goes right first time:
- Read the instructions carefully or you could end up causing the TV to become unresponsive or require a repair.
- Don't turn the TV off - or disconnect it from the power - while it's updating.
- Don't press any buttons, except the ones mentioned in the instructions.
- Stop any recording before you start with the firmware update.
Download the update
Before you install the update, you'll need to download it from the internet and save it to a USB stick
- Read and accept the terms and conditions below and click download file.
- When prompted, save the file to your Desktop. When the update download is complete, check that the file size is 34,521,220 bytes. To do this, right click the file, select properties and check the size in the General tab.
- Open Windows Explorer, locate the downloaded sony_tvupdate_2013_4010_aef_auth.zip, and unzip it. A folder called sony_dtv027000097009_00000100 will now be created in your local drive.
- Copy the folder to your USB device.
Install the update
Once you've downloaded the update file, you can install it on your TV. Just follow the simple steps below.
The process can take up to 5 minutes and during the installation your TV will turn off before turning itself back on.
- Turn on the TV.
- Insert your USB device containing the file sony_dtv027000097009_00000100 into the USB slot of the TV set.
- Using the remote control press HOME to open the MENU.
- Select Settings,highlightSet-up and pressEnterusing the remote control.
- HighlightUSB System Update and pressEnterusing the remote control.
- When the message Do you want to start system update now appears, selectOKand press Enter.
- The update will start and an orange Led light will start blinking on the front panel of the TV. - Do not remove the USB or turn off the TV.
- After several minutes, the TV will turn off and then turn back on to complete the update.- Do not remove the USB device or turn off the TV set.
- When the firmware update is completed, a message is displayed on the TV set.
- Remove your USB device from the USB slot.
Check the update was successful:
- Turn on your TV and press the HOME button on the remote to display the Home Menu
- Navigate tosettings, highlightSet-upand press OK.
- Navigate to Product Support category and press OK.
- On the TV screen, the firmware version number should appear like this: SOFTWARE VERSION v4010- if the version number is v4010 or higher you already have the most recent firmware
Questions & Answers
Need more information? See our FAQs about updating firmware over the internet:
Will my personal settings be deleted after the update?
No, all your personal settings will be kept.
Can I install an older version of Firmware?
To ensure that your TV remains at optimum performance, the installation of an older firmware is not possible.
During the update process the TV turns off
It is normal for the TV to restart during the update process. It will take a longer time for the TV to restart while installing the new firmware.
What to do if you have problems updating your TV firmware using the internet.
One of these messages appears on the TV screen: "An error occurred during the software update", or "Software cannot be updated using this USB device"
- Make sure your USB device is in good working order. If it is, try downloading the update file again.
- Turn off the TV by pressing the POWER button on the TV set.
- Press the POWER button again, and proceed with the installation process again.
"No newer version of the TV software was found" is displayed on the TV front panel display
Your TV already has newest firmware version installed, so you don't need to update it.