This information is for the following models:
About this download
Benefits and Improvements from the latest update
- Corrects a symptom where, in some cases, the camera may not operate properly after updating the software to Ver. 3.00
- For cameras which were updated to Ver. 3.00 and then to Ver. 3.01, the registered customised settings for the Fn (function) menu may be lost.
In such a case, please customise the menu again to your preference by going to:
[MENU]-[Camera Settings2]-[Function Menu Set]
- The Ver. 3.01 software also includes the following updates from Ver. 3.00
- Introduces support for the new lens "SEL400F28GM"
- Optimisation of optical image stabilisation performance, and support for the new image stabilisation mode of the Lens (Mode 3).
- Addition of [Function Ring(Lens)] to the menu
*For SEL400F28GM, [APS-C S35/Full Frame Sel.] setting can be assigned to the Function Ring, in addition to [Power Focus].
- Addition of [Aperture Drive in AF] to the menu
*With the SEL400F28GM, focus will not be locked even during continuous shooting at F-values greater than F11, under the following conditions: AF-C, electronic shutter, [Aperture Drive in AF] menu set to [Focus Priority]. Note that continuous shooting speed might be slow when F number is over F11.
- Added function for professionals engaged in sports/news media:
- Adds a [Write Serial Number] option (On/Off) to the menu, enabling or disabling the inclusion of the camera's serial number in the Exif data
- Improvements in auto focus performance and functionality
- Improves tracking performance of moving subjects in AF-C mode
- Improves auto focus speed in low light conditions
- Adds [AF Track Sens] as a selectable option for custom key settings
- Adds support for all focus areas when using the LA-EA3 mount adaptor (Options added to [Focus Area]: "Zone", "Expand Flexible Spot" and "Lock-on AF")
- Improvements in flash control performance and functionality
- Reduces the release time lag when shooting with a flash
- Adds support for [Slow Sync.] and [Rear Sync.] when using a flash wirelessly
- Adds support for white balance automatic correction, when using the colour filter of an external flash (HVL-F60RM)
- Other improvements
- Stabilises the release time lag when shooting in AF-C mode
- Improves the overall stability of the camera
Previous Benefits and Improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update
- Enhance Continuous AF
- Enhances continuous auto focus on moving subjects
- Enhances AF-C stability while zooming
- Adds new or enhanced functions for sports/news media photography professionals
- New function: assign protecting images to custom key
- New function: FTP transfer protected files at once *1
- Displays wired LAN MAC address
- Inputs IPTC metadata to files *2
- Inputs camera serial number to metadata
- Improves all-round operational stability
- Improves the accuracy of the overheating warning
- Supports "Eye AF" function for A-mount lenses via the LA-EA3 mount adapter *3
- Fixes an issue where RAW files may disappear when SDXC or microSDXC memory cards are used in certain smartphones *4
- Improves the image quality and overall stability of the camera
- Improves continuous autofocus (AF-C) performance while zooming in with the SEL70200GM or SEL100400GM lens *5
- Improves the overheating warning functionality
*2: Need to create IPTC information beforehand by using the "IPTC Metadata Preset" software.
*3: This function is only for A-mount lenses which can adapt to 8 or 10 fps (maximum) tracking AF-C shooting. See here for details.
*4: Raw data recorded by the ILCE-9 with system software Ver. 1.00 or 1.01 could disappear. Please backup your raw data files, even if you’re updating the system software to Ver. 1.10.
*5: The system software version Ver.03 or later for SEL70200GM and Ver.02 or later for SEL100400GM are needed respectively. The statement was added at the same time as the lens system software was released.
- ILCE-9 System Software (Firmware) Update Ver.3.01 (Mac)
- 289.8 MB (289,779,194 bytes)
Check the system software version
Follow the instructions below to check the system software version. If the system software version is Ver.3.01, the update is not required.
- Select Menu > Setup subpage 6 > Version on the camera.
- The system software version is displayed as illustrated below.
The latest version of the system software update is compatible with the following Macintosh versions:
- Mac OS X v.10.11 / macOS 10.12 – 10.13*
For macOS 10.13, please ensure the "DriverLoader_1013" has been installed before update your software.
The latest version of the system software update is compatible with the following hardware:
- CPU: Intel processor*
* Core Solo and Core Duo processors are no longer supported.
- Hard drive space: 600 MB or more
- RAM: 512 MB or more
- Power source for the device.
Fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100.
Note: The update can only be performed when the battery power level is (three bars) or more. We recommend that you use a fully charged battery. Detach the vertical grip before updating system software.
- USB cable supplied with the device
Note: Update functionality is not guaranteed with any other USB cable.
- Please close all other application software before updating the system software.
- Use a fully charged rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100.
- Do not remove the battery during the update; as the sudden loss of power may render the camera inoperable.
- Remove the memory card from the camera before starting the update process.
- The system software update takes approximately 10 minutes. Please prevent your computer from going into Sleep mode during this time. If the computer does go into Sleep mode and the update is interrupted, the entire update process will need to be restarted.
- Do not open "About This System Software Updater" in the System Software Updater menu as this may crash the Updater software.
- Do not connect the camera to other any other devices except your computer.
How to download the Updater:
- After reading the disclaimer, click Download.
- The file [Update_ILCE9V301.dmg] file will start downloading.
- Save the file to the desktop of your computer (recommended).
Step 1: Start the Updater
- Close all programs currently running on your computer.
- Double-click the [Update_ILCE9V301.dmg] file that you downloaded. Do not connect the camera to the computer yet.
- [Update_ILCE9V301] is expanded.
- Double-click the icon.
- Before the kernel extension loads, a message will prompt you to allow the application to make changes. Enter the password for the administrative account.
- The System Software Updater starts.
- Turn on the camera.
- Following the instructions in the System Software Updater window, on the camera, select Menu > Setup subpage 3 > USB Connection and check if Mass Storage is selected. If a mode other than Mass Storage is selected, please select Mass Storage.
- Connect the camera to the computer with the supplied USB cable. "USB Mode" appears on the LCD screen of the camera.
Note: If the computer cannot find the device, the message "Could not find the camera for this update" is displayed on the computer screen. Please try the following:
- Disconnect the USB cable and connect it again.
- If the computer has multiple USB terminals, try with the other terminals.
Sometimes when the camera is connected to the computer with the USB cable, a message prompting you to restart the computer may be displayed. In this case, remove the battery pack from the camera, reboot the computer, and follow the instructions from "2. Start the System Software Updater".
- Check the LCD screen of the camera, then click Next. The current version number and updated version number appear on the lower left side of the screen. After confirming that the current software version is "Ver.3.00 or earlier", click Next. If the current system software version is 3.01 or later, the update is not required. In this case, disconnect the camera from the computer and click Finish. Turn off the camera, remove the battery pack, reinsert the battery and turn the camera back on.
Update is required
Update is not required
- After confirming that the current software version is "Ver.3.00 or earlier", click Next.
- The camera is automatically reset.
The screen below is displayed.
Note: the Loading icon may not be displayed depending on the OS version that you are using.
- Start the update
After automatically resetting, the following screen is shown and the update starts. The progress bar appears during the update process (approximately 10 minutes).
Note: Never turn off the camera or disconnect the USB cable while updating.
- Complete the update
When the update is complete, the camera will automatically restart. Make sure that the camera is turned on and wait until the LCD screen appears again. Click Finish when the LCD screen appears and disconnect the USB cable.
Note: After restarting, a data recovery warning is sometimes displayed. This is normal. Please wait until this warning disappears.
Step 2: Confirm the system software version of your device is Ver.3.01.
- On the camera, select Menu > Setup subpage 6 > Version
- The system software version is displayed as illustrated below.