This information is applicable for the following Blu-ray Disc player models:
- BDP-S185 / S186
About this download
Updating is simple and with the newest firmware version, you can get even more from your Blu-ray player.
- Name:Blu-ray player firmware to version M09.R.0070
- Date released:26-12-2014
- Benefits and improvements:
- BD-ROM playability improvement.
- BRAVIA Internet Video connectivity improvement.
- This update includes Cinavia™ content protection technology. Information about Cinavia technology is provided at theCinavia Online Consumer Information Center at http://www.cinavia.com.
- Restrictions:only for use with Blu-ray players sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.
Your firmware may already be up to date, especially if you have a new Blu-ray player model.If the version number is M09.R.0070 or higher, you do not need to update.
If you're not sure, it's easy to check which version of firmware you have:
- Turn on your TV and check it’s tuned to the input your Blu-ray player is connected to, so if the player is connected to the HDMI 2 socket, choose HDMI 2 as the input.
- Turn on the Blu-ray player. If it starts to play a disc, pressSTOPand wait until you see the blue Sony Blu-ray screen.
- At the XrossMediaBarTM, highlightSetup>System Settingsthen selectENTERusing the arrow keys on the remote control.
- HighlightSystem Informationand selectENTER.
- On the TV screen, the firmware version number looks like this:
"Software Version M09.R.0070 " -if the version number is M09.R.0070 or higher, you already have the most recent firmware version.
There are 2 easy ways to update the firmware on your Blu-ray player:
Updating over the internet
We recommend this method as it’s the simplest way to update. It usually takes about15-30minutes. First set up the equipment, then download the update over the internet to your Blu-ray player.
What you need:
- an Ethernet cableto connect your Blu-ray player to the internet
- an active internet connection
- a compatible TV
How to make sure the update goes smoothly
Updating is usually very simple. Here’s how you can make sure it goes right first time:
- Read the instructions carefullyor you could end up damaging your Blu-ray player.
- Don’t turn the Blu-ray player off– or disconnect it from the power – while it’s updating.
- Don’t press any buttons,except the ones mentioned in the instructions.
Set up the equipment:
- Turn on your TV and check it’s tuned to the input your Blu-ray player is connected to. (So if the player is connected to the AV1 socket, choose AV1 as the input.)
- Connect the LAN terminal on the Blu-ray player to your internet source using an Ethernet cable.
- Turn on the Blu-ray player. (If there is a disc in the player, take it out.)
Get the update:
- At the XrossMediaBarTM, selectSetup>Network Updateusing the arrow keys on the remote control and then selectENTER.
- The messagePerform version update?is displayed on the TV.
- SelectOKusing the remote control, and then pressENTER.
- The download process starts and you see the download screen on the TV.
- During the download, you see the message*/9"on the TV. The * changes to0and goes up to9during the download process.
- After the download is complete, the update starts.
- You will see again the message"*/9"on the TV. The * changes to0and goes up to9during the update process.
- When the player automatically turns off, the update is complete.Don't use or turn off the player until the update is complete.
- Turn the player back on.
- Check the firmware version. If the version number is M09.R.0070, the firmware update was successful.
What to do if you have problems updating your Blu-ray player firmware using the internet.
- The message "Connection status cannot be confirmed" shows on the TV.
The problem might be with the network connection.
- Check the LAN cable is connected.
- In the network settings, check you have confirmed whether or not your Blu-ray player has its own IP address. (If you use a proxy server, type the IP address of the proxy you use – instead of the proxy host name – into the Proxy Server field.)
- Try the update again.
- The power went off while the update was in progress.
Turn the player on and try the update again.
- The update has been going for over 30 minutes and hasn’t finished.
- Disconnect the AC power cord from the mains, then reconnect it after several minutes.
- Turn on the Blu-ray Disc player.
- Try the update procedure again.
Still not working?Pleasecontact Sony Customer Support