About this download
For owners of Walkman S series, we offer "NWZ-S738FNWZ-S739F firmware update program" download service.
We provide the firmware update to the latest version 1.11 for the firmware of NWZ-S738FNWZ-S739F. Please read carefully the following instructions.
The followings are the target products of this service, whose firmware version should be less than or equal to 1.10.
With the above products, customers may experience the following symptoms. The symptoms will be fixed with this firmware update.
- When playing any music files, sometimes the units cannot be operated and may turn off and on automatically.
How to confirm the Model and the Firmware version
Please confirm the Model and the Firmware version from the steps below.
- Press and hold the BACK/HOME button until the Home menu appears.
- Press /// button to select (Settings), and then press button.
- Press /// button to select Common Settings, and then press button.
- Press /// button to select Unit Information, and then press button.
Confirm the Model and the Firmware version.
Target PC environments
- Windows Vista® Ultimate (Service Pack 1 or later)
- Windows Vista® Business (Service Pack 1 or later)
- Windows Vista® Home Premium (Service Pack 1 or later)
- Windows Vista® Home Basic (Service Pack 1 or later)
- Windows® XP Professional (Service Pack 2 or later)
- Windows® XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2 or later)
(The 64 bit version OS is not supported.)
CPU: Pentium 4 1.0GHz or higher
Memory: 512MB or more
Display: 800 x 600 dots or better (1024 x 768 dots or better is recommended)
Display Color: High Color (16bit) or higher
When downloading the program and updating the firmware, log on to the computer with the administrator name or with any name which belongs to the administrator.If you are Windows Vista user, "Windows needs your permission to continue" message appears in the User Account Control dialog box. Click Continue to proceed, and follow the announcements.
Please follow the steps below to download the program.
- Set up a folder named "FWUP" in the C drive of the computer for storing the downloaded file on the hard drive.
- Download the following file which is suitable for your model to the folder set in Step1.
File size:28,558 KB
- After reading these instructions, click the Downloadbutton at the bottom of this page, select any update program for the product you are using, and the file download will start. Follow the displayed dialog boxes to download the file.
Once the download is finished, follow the steps below to update the program.
When updating, the unit needs about 30MB of free space.Also, please transfer all tracks and data from the unit to the computer in advance, since the tracks and data may be lost when updating, as they remain on the unit.We cannot guarantee in case the tracks and the data are damaged or deleted by this update.
Preparation (Setting initialization of the unit "Walkman")
By the initialization, all the contents including some setting menus and FM radio broadcast stations presets you set optionally are reset to the default, factory settings. Data of music, photos and movies are not deleted.
- Press and hold the BACK / HOME button in the pause mode until the Home menu appears.
- Press the /// button to select (Settings), and then press the button to confirm.
- Press the /// button to select "Common Settings", and then press the button to confirm.
- Press the /// button to select "Reset all Settings", and then press the button to confirm. The confirmation screen to set back to the factory settings appears.
- Press the / button to select "Yes" and then press button to confirm. "Restored factory settings" appears.
Start the update
- After the preparation, connect the unit to the PC.
- Quit all software running on Windows.
- Windows Vista users: Click Start button on the task bar of the computer, and click on "Run..." followed by All Programs-Accessory.
Windows XP users: Click Start button on the task bar of the computer and click on"Run..."The "Run..." dialog box will be opened.
- Input "C:\FWUP\NWZ-S730F_V1_11.exe" in the "Open" text box and click OK. The program will be started.
- Follow the message.
- Please do not disconnect the unit from the PC during updating.
- During updating, USB connection is automatically controlled and "Connecting USB" indication is off with the control. Also, the USB disconnect message may appear on some computers.
- When the message of completing updating is displayed, click the Finish button.
Errors during update
- When the PC shows "The update data file cannot be transferred because there is not enough available disk space in the device" ,delete some songs in the unit, or transfer them to the PC so that the available disk space is more than 30MB. Then start to update again.
- In the case the PC shows "The software update of the NWZ-S738F (or NWZ-S739F) device to version 1.11 timed out",
this means that the update may have failed. Click Finish. Follow the Update procedure and try to update again.
After the Update
Please confirm the version when the update program is installed successfully with the How to confirm the Model and the Firmware version steps on the top of this page. The update program installation is succeeded when "1.11" is shown on the screen.
- 27.89 Mb