IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
This article explains how you can use certain Sony camcorders as a webcam using USB Streaming.
What is USB Streaming?
USB Streaming is a feature found on some Sony camcorders that allows live video and audio to be transferred to a computer using a USB cable connection. This feature is especially useful when using a camcorder as a webcam for video conferencing.
Before you start
- Not all camcorders are equipped with a USB Streaming port. For compatibility information or details on any of the steps below, refer to the instruction manual of your camcorder. Manuals are posted on the support website.
- The USB Streaming driver is not compatible with the Apple Mac OS operating system.
- The computer should have a factory-installed USB port and compatible webcam software (e.g. Microsoft NetMeeting).
How to set up live streaming
- Install the USB Streaming driver on the computer from the CD provided with the camcorder.
- Restart the computer.
- Plug the AC power adapter for the camcorder into a working electrical outlet and then connect it to the camcorder.
- Connect the supplied USB cable to the camcorder and computer.
- Turn on the camcorder by moving the POWER switch to the CAMERA position.
- In the camcorder menu, set the USB STREAMING option to ON.
- On the computer, start the webcam software.