First check the following conditions:
- The battery is compatible and inserted correctly in the camera.
- You use genuine Sony batteries. Make sure the battery comes from an authorized Sony dealer.
- Let the battery charge several hours before inserting it in the camera.
Furthermore the use of certain functions can greatly affect the battery life:
- The ambient temperature is too high or low (below 0°C and over 40°C). Especially in low temperature surroundings the battery performance decreases. This is not a malfunction.
- Use of the build in flash (if available).
- Use of the movie recording function (if available).
- Prolonged playback of files.
- Frequent insertion/removal of memory card; using cards that have not been formatted over a long period.
- Transfer of image/movie files from the camera to the PC via USB connection.
Use of GPS and/or Wi-Fi (if available).
Also note that:
- Rechargeable batteries lose some of their capacity over time and repeated charge/discharge cycles. Replace them if necessary.
- The battery can discharge to some degree even when the camera is not used and it is stored over a longer period.
- Remove the battery from the camera if the camera is not used for a longer time.