α9 featuring full-frame stacked CMOS sensor
What only α9 can do
This mechanism-free camera can deliver a-class-above performance conventional mechanical SLRs have only sought. For example, this system realises a totally blackout-free viewfinder while conventional systems can only try to reduce blackout time. A high-speed, vibration-free, silent Anti-Distortion shutter vastly extends the range of shooting situations while a mechanical system can only aim for lower vibration and quieter shutter release sound. α9 provides continuous tracking of moving subjects for foolproof AF/AE while traditional SLRs can only challenge such AF/AE performance improvements. Moreover, α9 allows its viewfinder to show not only images of the subject — available on conventional systems — but also the final image of a shot. Now, thanks to a new image sensor that superbly manages all these roles, you can surpass all expectation with α9.
Note: This camera is equipped with electronic and mechanical shutters. The features described in this section are primarily related to electronic shutter operation.
Capture the previously uncatchable
Track the action with an uninterrupted view
Silence expands photographic potential
Mobility leads to unprecedented opportunities
See more about 4D FOCUS
More AF features for assured shooting
New CMOS sensor for imaging excellence
High sensitivity, a back-illuminated configuration, gapless on-chip lens architecture, and other Sony innovations deliver stunning images in a wide range of photographic situations. Standard ISO range is ISO 100-51200, expandable to ISO 50-204800 with minimum noise.
Technology for high-quality images
Utilise high-quality imaging that unites all available image sensor technologies — including back-illuminated structure, gapless on-chip lens architecture.
[A] Conventional front-illuminated structure
[B] Stacked back-illuminated structure with integral memory
(1) Gapless OCL (2) Aluminum wiring layer (3) Light receiving surface
(4) Photodiode substrate (5) Copper wiring layer (6) Pixel area
(7) Stacked layer
Quad-VGA OLED Tru-Finder™
The new high-resolution 3686k-dot electronic viewfinder (EVF) shows a clear image with fine detail. The legendary ZEISS® T* Coating greatly reduces reflections. Smooth EVF images realised by 120fps frame rate even allow you to easily track a subject in fast motion. Fluorine coating on the outermost lens provides improved protection from dirt.
5-axis image stabilisation
New body-integrated 5-axis image stabilisation unit offers a 5.0-stop shutter speed advantage. The live-view monitor image is also stabilised, so you can compose images easily even when shooting a fast-moving subject. (1) Yaw (2) Pitch (3) Roll
Backup to Sony’s secure cloud service and access your photos and videos from any device.
Supported in Capture One Express (for Sony)
One of the world’s best RAW converters by Phase One
Especially for α9 enthusiasts
- Lens Compatibility
- Sony E-mount lenses
- 35mm full frame (35.6×23.8mm), Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Number Of Pixels (Effective)
- Approx. 24.2 megapixels
- ISO Sensitivity (Recommended Exposure Index)
- [Still images] Mechanical Shutter: ISO 100-51200 (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 to ISO 204800 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Electronic Shutter: ISO 100-25600 (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit), [Movies] ISO 100-51200 equivalent (ISO numbers up to ISO 102400 can be set as expanded ISO range.), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
- Battery Life (Still Images)
- Approx. 480 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 650 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Viewfinder Type
- 1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (color),Quad-VGA OLED
- 7.5cm (3.0-type) type TFT
What's in the Box
Power cord, Rechargeable Battery NP-FZ100, Battery Charger BC-QZ1, Cable Protector, AC Adaptor, Shoulder strap, Body cap, Shoe cap, Eyepiece cup, Micro USB cable, Instruction Manual