Announcement for Windows Upgrade Offer
Following Microsoft’s announcement of its 'Windows Upgrade Offer ', we are pleased to inform you that, for selected VAIO models only, Sony is preparing to provide the necessary software such as BIOS, drivers, utilities and other VAIO applications. This software is required to successfully upgrade the Windows 7 Operating System to a working Windows 8 Operating System.
Please carefully read through below list of FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) for more information regarding the 'Windows Upgrade Offer ' and the support provided by Sony.
This list will be updated regularly as more information becomes available.
Frequently Asked Questions
About the VAIO Windows 8 upgrade kit
About the upgrade process
The VAIO Windows 8 upgrade kit contains drivers, utilities and applications that need to be installed along with your Windows 8 operating system to ensure that your experience with your VAIO is the best possible.
Installing the VAIO Windows 8 upgrade kit is very important as it will prepare your VAIO before the operating system upgrade. Please do not miss this step as you may face serious installation issues and data loss.
Windows 8 is the next generation version Windows with improved experience, equipped with the advantages of Windows 7. Windows 8 enables a user friendly environment optimized for numerous devices, such as touch supporting tablets, notebook PCs, Desktop PCs, and all-in-one PCs.
For further info on Windows 8, please refer to the Microsoft official website .
Please review the Windows 8 Upgrade Precautions and Limitations prior to updating your operating system.
The following information may be updated periodically. You can find the most recent information below:
- Before upgrading to Windows 8, back up your data and perform a full system recovery to its factory condition.
- If you have downgraded the operating system architect from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 7 32-bit, you will be required to perform a system recovery.
- The upgrade software, drivers, and utilities provided by Sony can only be used on select models.
- Follow the operation instructions in the User Manual when upgrading to Windows 8.
- Remove any peripherals from your computer that are not required to perform the upgrade.
- If your computer freezes during the Windows 8 upgrade, press and hold the power button to turn off the computer, and then press the power button again to turn it back on.
- Plug the power cord into the AC adapter, then plug it into an AC outlet before performing the upgrade.
Note: Do not upgrade to Windows 8 using the internal battery power only
- It is highly recommended that you create recovery media before upgrading to Windows 8. The recovery media will allow you to restore to the original operating system.
Note: Please refer to the User Manual for instructions on how to create recovery media.
Limitations: VAIO computer
- Some wireless devices may not be able to turn off when Airplane mode is turned on within the Windows 8 PC Settings.
- Applicable Models: VAIO computers that have a wireless hardware switch
- Power Media Dock
- You will need to shut down your computer when connecting or disconnecting the Power Media Dock.
- The Power Media Dock graphic accelerator feature is not supported for the main display.
- Applicable Models: VPCZ2 Series, SVZ Series
- VAIO Logo
- The VAIO Logo may not display during the startup process.
- Applicable Models:VPCF23 Series
- Display Brightness
- The display brightness may not change when adjusting the brightness control within the Charms.
- Work Around: To control the brightness press and hold the Fn key, and then concurrently press F5 to decrease the brightness or F6 to increase the brightness.
- Applicable Models: VPCL Series
Limitations: Sony software
- Media Gallery
- The Media Gallery app will be uninstalled during the Windows 8 upgrade process.
- Click to Disk
- The Click to Disk app will be uninstalled during the Windows 8 upgrade process.
- VAIO Setting
- The LCD refresh rate cannot be controlled
- The Color mode settings can no longer be utilized
- The Motion reality settings can no longer be utilized
- The Frame touch control cannot be turned on/off.
Affected model: VPCL Series only
- The VAIO peripheral will be display in English
Limitations: Third party software
Some preinstalled third party apps may have limitations after upgrading to Windows 8.
- WinDVD will be replaced with PowerDVD
- WinDVD BD will be replaced with PowerDVD BD
- Quick Web Access will not be supported
- TriDef 3D Photo viewer will not be supported
Contact Information: Third party software
Sony does not provide Windows 8 support for third party apps. Refer to the Contact Information for Packaged Software Kit in the support manual that came with your VAIO computer. Some third party apps may not provide support.
Restrictions regarding related products
Support information for related Sony products will be posted on the VAIO support website. Sony only supports peripheral equipment that is compatible with Windows 8.
The 'Clean Install' scenario is not supported by Sony. Sony will only support the 'Migration' scenario.
A clean installation erases the entire hard drive (including the original Operating System) and installs the new Operating System files onto the hard drive. All folders, files, applications and personal settings will be erased. Migration will transition your VAIO to Windows 8, whilst preserving folders, files, applications and personal settings.
To check if your model is supported for upgrade to the Windows 8 Operating System, find the supported models :
By entering your model :
By series :
In the Overview below :
|SVT / SVZ series|
|VPCF / VPCJ series|
|VPCY / VPCZ series|
Yes, they are. Please check if your specific model is supported.
The offer will be limited to customers who purchase a PC sold during the eligibility period with a valid Windows 7 OEM Certificate of Authenticity and preinstalled with:
- Windows 7 Home Basic;
- Windows 7 Home Premium;
- Windows 7 Professional; or
- Windows 7 Ultimate.
According to the announcement by Microsoft, this Windows Upgrade Offer will be an opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro only. Kindly refer to the Microsoft official website for more information.
Microsoft will limit the promotional price to one upgrade offer per PC purchased, and a maximum limit of five upgrade offers per customer.
Windows 8 works fine on the same hardware that powers Windows 7:
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
- Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
Additional requirements to use certain features:
- To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multitouch.
- To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768.
- To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768.
- Internet access (ISP fees might apply)
- You will need to check whether drivers are available for your VAIO. If the preinstalled Operating System is Windows 7, you can expect that the majority of Windows 7 drivers will work under a retail version of Windows 8.
- You need to order a retail version of Windows 8, either from Microsoft directly or from an authorized dealer.
NOTE: Sony cannot assume any responsibility for stability and performance issues after this upgrade.
- While the primary functions of your VAIO are expected to work, some features (e.g. hotkeys to change sound volume) may not work.
- We advise to back up data prior to starting any Windows Upgrade .
- Verify whether you created Recovery DVDs to be able to return the VAIO to delivery state.
IMPORTANT: Please note that VAIO Support cannot assist you with the upgrade.
- Austria: German
- Belgium: Dutch, French, English
- Bulgaria: Bulgarian
- Croatia: Croatian
- Czech Republic: Czech
- Denmark: Danish
- Finland: Finnish
- France: French
- Germany: German
- Greece: Greek
- Hungary: Hungarian
- Ireland: English
- Italy: Italian
- Kazakhstan: Russian
- Luxembourg: Dutch, French, English
- Netherlands: Dutch
- Norway: Norwegian
- Poland: Polish
- Portugal: Portuguese
- Romania: Romanian
- Russia: Russian
- Slovakia: Slovakian
- Slovenia: Slovenian
- Spain: Spanish
- Sweden: Swedish
- Switzerland: German, French, Italian
- Turkey: Turkish
- Ukraine: Ukrainian
- United Kingdom: English
We recommend you check if your apps or peripherals (e.g. Printer, camera, USB device, etc.) are compatible with Windows 8 by going to the Compatibility Center for Windows 8 Website .
This list provides thousands of the most popular devices and programs to help you easily identify what will or will not work with Windows 8.
The adjective 'Eligible' refers to the Microsoft terminology used with regards to the eligibility period of the promotional offer for Windows upgrade at a discounted price. As aforementioned this eligibility period starts on June 2, 2012 and ends on January 31, 2013.
The adjective 'Supported' refers to terminology used by Sony. Sony is currently performing a validation of selected Windows 7 VAIO models to determine whether all BIOS, drivers, utilities and other VAIO applications from Sony can be fully supported for upgrade to the Windows 8 Operating System.
Depending on the outcome of the testing and validation phase for each model, Sony will issue a list of supported models as well as any known restrictions, limitations and necessary software updates .
- Microsoft will provide you the Windows 8 Operating System and a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).
For details on pricing, offer redemption and support, please refer to the Microsoft official website.
- Sony will provide you Windows 8 compatible BIOS, drivers, utilities and other VAIO applications (for supported VAIO models only!).
Direct download (Electronic Software Delivery)
Please note that some applications might not be provided, depending on your model.
Sony has carefully selected the VAIO models that will ensure the best Windows 8 experience. If your VAIO is not supported by the VAIO Windows 8 upgrade kit, we advise you to visit the following pages to find drivers and applications, which you can separately install. Please note that no online support is offered for non supported VAIO models.
The duration of the upgrade will depend on many parameters, such as your VAIO model (processor, RAM, etc.), or your Internet connection speed.
As an indication, the upgrade time, including the file download will take approximately:
- 56 Kbps: 5 days
- 512 Kbps: 12 hours
- 1.544 Kbps: 5 hours
- 10 Mbps and faster: 3 to 4 hours
To back up your data, To back up your data,please follow the instructions described on this page.
- Run Windows 7 File Recovery Application .
- Choose Select another backup to restore file from .
- Select Backup File created with Windows 7. Click Next.
- Select Files to be restored (All Files selected in this scenario). Click Next.
- Choose the location where files should be restored to. Click Next.
- View restored files or click Finish to end the restore procedure .
Whenever you install a new Operating System, it is very important that you create a backup of your data. Your files might get lost or damaged if they are not backed up before the installation of the new Operating System. You can perform a backup onto an external hard drive or a DVD. You may need to re-install some applications after you have transitioned your PC to Windows 8.
Yes, it is. Please follow the instructions contained in the Windows 8 upgrade Guide when upgrading to Windows 8.
Yes, it is normal. Please do not interrupt the upgrade process. The upgrade can take a few hours.
Yes, it is normal. For some changes to be applied, the computer sometimes needs to be restarted to continue the upgrade process.
Yes, it is normal, for some changes to be correctly applied, it is necessary that when you are requested to, you accept to launch separate updates.
This can happen. If this happens, do not worry, simply turn the computer on again and the upgrade process will resume.