XDCAM EX - New Generation Solid State Recording System
The PMW-320 extends the multiple award-winning XDCAM EX Solid State Recording product family with a new shoulder mount design and cutting edge three 1/2 inch-type Exmor full-HD CMOS sensors. The PMW-320 offers all the advanced creative recording features of the PMW-EX1R compact camcorder, plus enhancements such as a Scene File System and 4 channel audio. The PMW-320L version is supplied without a lens to provide customers with more choice, while the PMW-320K version is supplied with a Fujinon HD lens.
The 320's chassis is based on the proven XDCAM HD422 chassis, but weighs just 3.2kg and is one of the lightest shoulder camcorders in its class. Exceptionally low power consumption makes it environmentally friendly, using approximately 60% less than a comparable HD shoulder camcorder.**
The PMW-320 supports multiple frame rate recording such as 59.94i, 50i, and native 23.98P and 25P as well as being 1080i/720P switchable. There is also a choice of a 35Mb/s High Quality mode, 25Mb/s HDV 1080i compatible mode and 25Mb/s Standard Definition DVCAM recording. Twin memory card slots support up to 280 minutes HD recording time using two 32GB SxS memory cards.
XDCAM EX is a focus of continual innovation from IT-friendly MP4 file recording and advanced creative features, through to SxS-1 low cost media and an adaptor enabling the use of high-speed Memory Sticks™.
Innovative solid state recording with SxS PRO ExpressCard memory cards offers the following benefits:
- Compatible with industry-standard ExpressCard interface available on most modern laptops
- No time lost to tape loading
- Robust storage media, impervious to shocks and vibrations
- Small, high capacity recording media offering over 4 hours of continuous HD content across 2 x 32GB cards.
- Common interoperability with DVCAM, HDV and XDCAM - so ready to use immediately with most existing NLEs.
- No need to worry about accidentally overwriting precious content
- Write and Re-Writable media with no degradation in picture quality
- Thumbnail images representing key scenes can be browsed and instantly accessed using on-camera colour screen
- 'Essence Mark' key scenes at the touch of a button
- No frantic fast-forward/rewinding to find the clips you want to review
- Non-proprietary media manufacture
- Supplied with Clip Browser Software for viewing and copying clips to HDD, DVD or Blu-ray Disc
Superior Picture Performance
Newly updated 1/2 inch Exmor™ CMOS processors offer true 1080 x 1920 resolution meeting the industry standard for broadcast cameras:
- Large 1/2 inch sensors for excellent sensitivity and depth of field characteristics
- Full 1080 x 1920 effective pixels
- Low power consumption compared to CCD technology
- 1080 / 720, PAL/NTSC switchable for international programme production
Professional 1/2inch HD Lens
The adoption of three 1/2-inch imagers and a standard 1/2-inch bayonet lens interface means the PMW-320L is compatible with a wide variety of broadcast standard optional lenses, providing users with the choice of exactly which lens they wish to use for their specific production needs
Exciting and Creative Recording Modes
All XDCAM EX camcorders carry the legendary CineAlta brand, which represents optimisation for feature film production and specifically support for 23.98P recording capability - the standard frame rate for feature film production. Alongside this, there are a myriad of creative recording modes available including:
- Scene File System allows camera operators to easily call-up customised picture tonal settings to suit particular shooting conditions. SxS memory cards can be used for sharing settings between camcorders.
- Slow and Quick motion offers a range of frame rates produced within the camera and available for instant review in the field
- New shutter setting emulates filmic operation
- Cine Gamma curves offer further filmic options for production
- Frame and Interval recording offers further creative scope for animation and extremely quick motion effects
- Slow Shutter for clear images in low-light environments
- Standard Definition DVCAM recording mode extends operational flexibility
The PMW-320 is designed to be environmentally friendly thanks to its low power consumption of just 15W.* There's no need for a fan motor to ventilate the inside of the body and this, alongside the energy efficient Exmor sensors, means 60% less power is used than in comparable conventional HD camcorders from Sony such as the HDW-700 full-HD shoulder camcorder with a 1/2-inch image sensor. In addition, the PMW-320 is produced at Sony EMCS Corporation KosaiTec, which has received ISO14001 Environmental Management system certification.
* Body only in recording time.
Designed to be very compact and ergonomically well balanced, the PMW-320 provides a high level of mobility and comfort in various shooting situations.
- The main body weighs only 3.2 kg (7lb 1 oz) and is one of the lightest shoulder camcorders with three 1/2-inch full-HD imagers available.
- The position of the shoulder pad can be adjusted forwards or backwards to provide optimal weight balance. No tools are required for this adjustment, which is particularly useful when the camera is being used with different lenses or other accessories.
- Training requirements are minimised as the basic chassis is the same as used by the XDCAM HD422 family, an acclaimed extension of familiar Sony shoulder camcorder design.
- Low-profile design provides a wide space between the main frame of the camera and the handle, providing an unobstructed view to the right-hand side of the camera operator.
- Solid State Recording eliminates the need for a cooling fan, reducing weight and power consumption.