XDCAM EX - New Generation HD Recording System
The PMW-EX3 follows on from the successful launch of the new PMW-EX1 and offers all the great features of the PMW-EX1 in a new semi-shoulder design. In addition to this new design the camcorder also features an interchangeable lens system, genlock, timecode and remote control capability for real added flexibility, offering a low-cost HD studio solution.
The PMW-EX3 combines a state-of-the-art, non-linear XDCAM workflow with simply the best HD quality yet seen in a semi-shoulder camcorder. It is also the first semi-shoulder camcorder to carry the legendary CineAlta 24P brand with multiple frame rate recording capability such as 59.94i, 50i, and native 23.98P, as well being 1080i/720P switchable.
There is also a choice of a 35Mb/s High Quality mode or a 25Mb/s, HDV 1080i compatible mode. To take advantage of this high performance recording capability, the PMW-EX3 uses the same imaging system as the PMW-EX1, consisting of three ½-inch type CMOS sensors, each with an effective pixel count of 1920x1080. In addition, there's a purpose-built interchangeable Fujinon Professional HD ½-inch 14x lens and a unique dual focus ring mechanism. Included in the package is a ½-inch lens adaptor to allow use of other ½-inch lenses, plus the ability to use other optional lens adaptors for 2/3rd-inch, cinema-style and digital SLR lenses.
To maximise recording time, the PMW-EX3 has two memory card slots which means with a pair of 16 GB SxS PRO memory cards, it can record up to 140 minutes of HD footage.
A wide variety of accessories are also available, including a USB Reader/Writer, a wide-conversion lens, battery and charger.
The PMW-EX3 HD compact camcorder is the ideal solution for a wide range of customers from broadcasters through to independent videographers and film makers who want exceptional HD picture quality and state-of-the-art workflow from an affordable semi-shoulder camcorder.
The PMW-EX3 is a further innovation from Sony offering the first solid-state semi-shoulder camcorder. Based on the same outstanding picture performance, creative features and workflow innovation of the PMW-EX1, the new camera offers studio functions such as genlock and remote control, an interchangeable lens system and new ergonomic features which provide camera operators further flexibility in whatever style of production is chosen.
Innovative solid state recording with SxS PRO ExpressCard memory cards offers the following benefits:
- Compatible with industry-standard ExpressCard interface available on most modern laptops
- No time lost to tape loading
- Robust storage media, impervious to shocks and vibrations
- Small, high capacity recording media offering over 2 hours of continuous HD content across 2 x 16GB cards.
- Common interoperability with HDV and XDCAM so ready to use immediately with most existing NLE.
- No need to worry about accidentally overwriting precious content
- Write and Re-Writable media with no degradation in picture quality
- Thumbnail images representing key scenes can be browsed and instantly accessed using on-camera colour screen
- ' Essence Mark' key scenes at the touch of a button
- No frantic fast-forward/rewinding to find the clips you want to review
- Non-proprietary media manufacture
- Supplied with Clip Browser Software for viewing and copying clips to HDD, DVD or Blu-ray Disc.
Superior Picture Performance
Newly developed Exmor™ CMOS processors offer true 1080 x 1920 resolution:
- Large ½ inch sensors for excellent sensitivity and depth of field characteristics
- Full 1080 x 1920 effective pixels
- Low power consumption compared to CCD technology
- 1080 / 720 switchable for international programme production
Interchangeable Professional 1/2inch HD Lens
The PMW-EX3 features an exceptional interchangeable ½ inch Fujinon lens, which offers the ability with the supplied lens adaptor to utilise current ½ -inch lenses.
- Interchangeable 14x Fujinon Professional HD lens
- Can be used with other 2/3rd inch, Cinema and D-SLR lenses with optional lens adaptors.
- Unique focus operation offering full manual focus with absolute focus or manual/auto focus operation.
- AutoFocus Assist ensuring focus position can be altered
- Manual Focus Assist to ensure optimum focus at all times
Exciting and Creative Recording Modes
The PMW-EX3 is the first semi-shoulder camcorder to carry the legendary CineAlta brand, which represents optimisation for feature film production and specifically support for 23.98P recording capability - the standard frame rate for feature film production. Alongside this, there are a myriad of creative recording modes available including:
- Slow and Quick motion offers a range of frame rates produced within the camera and available for instant review in the field. Now available via direct control on the camcorder body.
- New shutter setting emulates filmic operation
- Cine Gamma curves offer further filmic options for production
- Frame and Interval recording offers further creative scope for animation and extremely quick motion effects
- Slow Shutter for clear images in low-light environments
New features for Multi-camera operation
The PMW-EX3 includes genlock and timecode interfaces, plus remote control functionality through Sony professional remote control units, making the PMW-EX3 ideal for multi-camera operation and entry level HD studio use.
- Genlock and timecode interfaces allow multi-camera operation with other camcorders.
- Remote control via Sony RM-B150 or RM-B750 is available via the 8-pin remote control connector for easy set-up and control.